1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rest Mass

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    My book says that if two objects collide completely inelastically, the rest mass of the composite is greater than the sum. I assume this happens because the objects heat up and this is counted in their energy.

However, in other problems the book assumes the rest mass of objects/particles is the same before and after collisions. Explanations are sparse.

How do you know if the rest mass changes or not?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I am guessing this is a book on relativity? What mathematical methods have you been through so far? Have you learned how to calculate the four-momentum of a system yet? and how to get the rest mass from this? It would be best to understand it mathematically, but I could help with an intuitive explanation if you haven't been through the maths yet.

4. May 7, 2012 #3
    End of a book on mechanics. The next chapter is more formal. I would just like an intuitive grasp of what the rest mass is and how to set up simple conservation law equations such as in compton scattering.

5. May 7, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

hmm. I could write out a big paragraph explaining 4-momentum as well as I can, but I don't think the homework section is the right place for that kind of thing. But I can help with the confusion you had in your first post. Right, so the rest mass of two particles is not just the sum of their individual rest masses. I think this is where the confusion stemmed from.

Edit: Also, when several particles are involved, it is often called the 'invariant mass' of the system, and is usually just called 'rest mass' when only one particle is involved.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook