What is the minimum uncertainty in the energy of a \rho meson?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rest mass and lifetime of a \rho meson, a subatomic particle. The rest mass is 776 MeV/c^2 and the mean lifetime is 4\times10^{-24}s. The question asks for the minimum uncertainty in the meson's energy, which can be calculated using the energy-time uncertainty principle.
dalarev
[SOLVED] Restmass, lifetime of a meson

Homework Statement

A [tex]\rho[/tex] meson is a highly unstable subatomic particle with a rest mass of 776 MeV/c^2 and a mean lifetime of [tex]4\times10^{-24}[/tex]s. What is the minimum uncertainty in the meson's energy?

Homework Equations

We know that rest energy of a particle E = mc^2, m being rest mass I'm assuming.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin. I'm not sure what they're asking, and what it is I need to calculate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that they want you to apply the so-called energy-time uncertainty principle. Look it up!

1. What is rest mass?

Rest mass is the mass of a particle when it is not moving or at rest. It is a fundamental property of a particle and is a measure of its inertia.

2. What is the lifetime of a meson?

The lifetime of a meson is the average amount of time that a meson particle exists before decaying into other particles. It varies depending on the specific type of meson.

3. How is rest mass measured?

Rest mass is typically measured using particle accelerators. The energy and momentum of the particle are measured and used to calculate its rest mass using the equation E=mc².

4. What factors affect the rest mass of a meson?

The rest mass of a meson is affected by its velocity and energy. As the meson moves faster or has more energy, its rest mass will increase.

5. Why is the rest mass of a meson important?

The rest mass of a meson is important because it is a fundamental property of the particle and can provide insights into its structure and interactions with other particles. It is also used in calculations and theories related to particle physics.