1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Restriction enzyme math question

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know this is a biology question but this is the most busy forum so I decided to put it here:

I'll make this simple. A restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs. It cuts the strand after it reads a sequence of 6 base pairs - AAGCCT. Of course the probablity of the enzyme reading the correct base is 1/4. And it needs 6 of them.

So what is the average length of a cut strand? I'm thinking you do (1/4)^6 and this will give you something.. but what?

Thanks for your help in advance...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2
    (1/4)^6 gives you the probability that your enzyme will read the string(tag) correctly and you know the length of your string so combine these number will give you an average length of a cut given that it consists of only this sequence - this is how I understand you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?