1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Restriction on K

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    I have a function that states:

[tex]e^{\frac{-t}{k}}\sin2t[/tex].

With the restriction k>1. There shouldn't be a dot next to the t.

I am meant to figure out why k is always bigger than one but so far, I am hatting a brick wall. Obviously, zero doesn't work because it yields a math error but the other decimals such as 0.9 or 0.8 can be graphed perfectly.

Could someone please give me any hints? I am thinking it might have something to do with time now but I am still blank.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    You can graph them, but maybe there is some other reason why k is restricted to > 1? Maybe a physical reason? What is the context?

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3
    It's related to harmonic motion (that is the actual context). I was thinking that perhaps it has something to do with a physical aspect. However, the harmonic motion equation (simple) is slightly different to this, so I didn't really pursue the idea further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook