Finding the range of an equation with domain restrictions?

• B
  • Thread starter Cheesycheese213
  • Start date
In summary, the range of an equation will depend on the domain. If there are no restrictions on the domain, the range will be all positive real numbers. However, if the inputs are in a sequence or are positive integers, then the range will also be a sequence of numbers. For example, if the domain is natural numbers, the range will be a sequence of numbers starting from 2 and increasing by powers of 2.
Cheesycheese213
I got a bit confused on how I'm supposed to do restrictions on an equation?

I had an equation (eg. y = 2x), and I wanted to get the domain and range. I had said the domain was that {x ∈ N} (natural numbers), since it was a sequence, but I got a bit confused on how I was supposed to do the range?

If I just do it from the equation itself, I get {y ∈ R | y > 0}, since the powers of positive numbers can only be positive. But if I also included {x ∈ N}, I'd get that {y ∈ R | y ≥ 2}, since the smallest x value possible is 1, and 21 = 2?

Am I supposed to base the range off of the equation only, or the domain of the x as well? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cheesycheese213 said:
I got a bit confused on how I'm supposed to do restrictions on an equation?

I had an equation (eg. y = 2x), and I wanted to get the domain and range. I had said the domain was that {x ∈ N} (natural numbers), since it was a sequence, but I got a bit confused on how I was supposed to do the range?

If I just do it from the equation itself, I get {y ∈ R | y > 0}, since the powers of positive numbers can only be positive. But if I also included {x ∈ N}, I'd get that {y ∈ R | y ≥ 2}, since the smallest x value possible is 1, and 21 = 2?

Am I supposed to base the range off of the equation only, or the domain of the x as well? Thanks!
Well, the range will depend on the domain. If there aren't any restrictions on the domain, i.e., ##x \in \mathbb R##, then the range will be as you said -- all positive real numbers.
However, if the inputs are in a sequence (which you said, but didn't elaborate on) or if the inputs are the positive integers, then the range will also be a sequence of numbers.

For example, if ##x \in \mathbb N##, then ##y \in \{2, 4, \dots, 2^n, \dots \}##

Likes Cheesycheese213
Mark44 said:
Well, the range will depend on the domain. If there aren't any restrictions on the domain, i.e., ##x \in \mathbb R##, then the range will be as you said -- all positive real numbers.
However, if the inputs are in a sequence (which you said, but didn't elaborate on) or if the inputs are the positive integers, then the range will also be a sequence of numbers.

For example, if ##x \in \mathbb N##, then ##y \in \{2, 4, \dots, 2^n, \dots \}##
Oooh I see thank you so much!

1. What are domain and range restrictions?

Domain and range restrictions refer to the limitations placed on the input and output values of a function. These restrictions determine the set of values that are valid for a given function.

2. Why are domain and range restrictions important?

Domain and range restrictions are important because they help define the scope of a function and ensure that it is well-defined. They also help identify any potential issues or limitations with a function.

3. How do you determine domain and range restrictions?

The domain and range restrictions of a function can be determined by analyzing its equation or graph. The domain is typically all the possible input values, while the range is all the possible output values.

4. What happens if you ignore domain and range restrictions?

If you ignore domain and range restrictions, your function may become undefined or produce incorrect results. This can lead to errors in calculations and make it difficult to interpret the function's behavior.

5. Can domain and range restrictions be changed?

Yes, domain and range restrictions can be changed by modifying the function's equation or graph. However, it is important to ensure that the new restrictions are still appropriate for the function and do not result in any issues or errors.