Why Does Doubling Sound Sources Not Simply Double the Decibel Level?

• Thread starter somecelxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
In summary, the resultant level of sound from two sources is calculated by adding the intensities and then taking the logarithm of the result. If the two sounds are perfectly in phase, the resultant level will be +6 dB higher, but if they are uncorrelated, the resultant level will only be +3 dB higher. This is because the intensity is proportional to the square of the amplitude. The formula for calculating the resultant level is 10 log (2##I_1## / (##I_0##)) = 33 dB, where I_1 is the intensity of the first source and I_0 is the original intensity level of 30 dB. However, if the two sounds are correlated, the resultant level will
somecelxis

Homework Statement

A source prodeuces sound of intensity level of 30dB .If another source prodeuces sound at the same time , what's the resultant level?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the ans is 10 log (2##I_1## / (##I_0##)) = 33dB , but why not = 10 log (4##I_1## / (##I_0##)) .. beacuse when 2 sound waves superposed , the resultant amplitude is A+A= 2A , I is directly proportional to (A^2) ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the two sounds correlated (e.g., in phase) with each other? The sum of the two will only have amplitude A + A (and therefore +6 dB) if they are perfectly in phase with each other. In general they're assumed uncorrelated (they have nothing to do with each other), and so you add the intensities and get +3 dB.

Likes 1 person
olivermsun said:
Are the two sounds correlated (e.g., in phase) with each other? The sum of the two will only have amplitude A + A (and therefore +6 dB) if they are perfectly in phase with each other. In general they're assumed uncorrelated (they have nothing to do with each other), and so you add the intensities and get +3 dB.

it's not 3db am i right? the intensity now it's 2I ?

33 dB is +3 dB relative to the original 30 dB, right?

Hint: log102 = ?

The resultant intensity level is not simply the sum of the two individual intensity levels. When two sound waves superpose, the resulting wave has a different amplitude and therefore a different intensity. The equation for intensity is I = A^2, where A is the amplitude. So when two waves with equal intensity (I) are superposed, the resultant intensity is actually four times the original intensity, not two times. This is why the correct equation is 10 log (4*I1/I0), where I1 is the intensity of the first source and I0 is the reference intensity. This equation takes into account the fact that the resultant intensity is four times the original intensity.

1. What is the definition of resultant intensity level?

Resultant intensity level refers to the overall loudness or strength of a sound wave, taking into account both its amplitude and frequency. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is a key factor in determining the perceived loudness of a sound.

2. How is resultant intensity level calculated?

Resultant intensity level is calculated using a logarithmic scale based on the ratio of the sound's intensity to the threshold of hearing, which is the minimum sound level that can be detected by the human ear. The formula for calculating resultant intensity level is: Lp = 10 log(I/Io), where Lp is the intensity level in decibels, I is the sound's intensity, and Io is the threshold of hearing.

3. What is the difference between resultant intensity level and sound pressure level?

Resultant intensity level takes into account both the intensity and frequency of a sound, while sound pressure level only measures the intensity of the sound. Resultant intensity level is a more comprehensive measure of a sound's loudness, while sound pressure level is more closely related to the physical force of the sound wave.

4. How does resultant intensity level affect human hearing?

Exposure to high levels of resultant intensity can lead to temporary or permanent hearing loss, as well as other health issues such as tinnitus and hyperacusis. It is important to monitor resultant intensity levels to ensure safe levels of sound and protect our hearing.

5. What factors can affect resultant intensity level?

The intensity level of a sound can be affected by various factors, such as the distance from the source of the sound, the size and shape of the room, and any obstacles or barriers between the source and the listener. The frequency and duration of the sound can also impact its resultant intensity level.