Can Displacement Be Calculated Without Drawing a Scale Diagram?

In summary, the orienteer ran a total distance of 10km in 1 hour, with an average speed of 10km/h. To find the displacement, a scale drawing may be needed as the path is not a straight line. The displacement can be found using the equation for average velocity, which would equal to the square root of 32 in this case.
Eqlius

Homework Statement

An orienteer runs 5km east, 4 km south and 1km west. If she completed the course in exactly 1 hour, calculate her displacement from the start.

Homework Equations

There were questions before it I've already answered but I am not sure if I can do this question through calculation, do I need to do a scale drawing because it isn't a triangle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the sketch in my book and found distance to be 10km and average speed to be 10km/h.

It also asks for velocity but i can find that once i find displacement. Mind Blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you find the displacement?
average velocity = displacement/total time

Yeh I just drew it. 5.7km/h

displacement is sqrt(32)

I would approach this problem by first defining the terms displacement and velocity. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial to final position, while velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's displacement over time.

Based on the given information, the orienteer's displacement can be calculated by finding the straight line distance between her initial and final positions. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (a and b).

In this case, we can represent the orienteer's displacement as the hypotenuse of a right triangle, with one side being 5km (east) and the other side being 3km (south + west). Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can calculate the hypotenuse to be approximately 5.83 km. This is the magnitude of her displacement.

To find her velocity, we need to divide the displacement by the time taken, which in this case is 1 hour. Therefore, her velocity would be 5.83 km/h in a direction that is a combination of east and south-west.

In conclusion, the orienteer's displacement from the start is approximately 5.83 km and her velocity is 5.83 km/h in a south-west direction. This can also be represented as a vector with a magnitude of 5.83 km and a direction of 225 degrees from the east direction.

1. What is resultant displacement?

Resultant displacement is a measurement of the total distance and direction an object has moved from its initial position to its final position. It takes into account both magnitude (distance) and direction of the displacement.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the total change in position of an object, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length of the path an object has traveled. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

3. How is resultant displacement calculated?

Resultant displacement can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude of the resultant displacement is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual displacements in each direction. The direction of the resultant displacement can be determined using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the difference between resultant displacement and net displacement?

Resultant displacement is the total displacement of an object, taking into account all individual displacements, while net displacement is the final displacement of an object from its initial position. Net displacement only considers the total distance and direction, while resultant displacement also considers all individual displacements along the way.

5. How is resultant displacement affected by multiple displacements?

The resultant displacement is the same as the net displacement if all individual displacements are in the same direction. However, if there are displacements in different directions, the resultant displacement will be smaller than the net displacement. This is because the resultant displacement takes into account the direction of each displacement, while net displacement only considers the total distance.