Resultant Force Help: Converting m/s to mph

In summary, two NHL players, Kyle and Paul, collide in an inelastic collision on center ice. Kyle, weighing 90kg and skating at 5m/s, checks Paul, who weighs 80kg and is skating at 8m/s. The answer to the problem is 1.11m/s. However, when trying to convert to mph and back, the same answer is not obtained. The reason for this discrepancy may be an error in conversion.
johnnyapplese
I was relearning some physics and I came across this problem.

Kyle and Paul, two NHL players, are playing hockey against each other and Kyle checks Paul, on center ice. They hang on to each other so the collision is inelastic. Assume Kyle weighs 90kg and Paul weighs 80kg. Kyle was skating at 5m/s and Paul at 8m/s. They collide head on.

I figured out the answer was 1.11m/s easily enough, but then i wondered if I could convert the m/s into mph and get the same answer but I couldn't get the same answer. My question is why can't you simply convert 8m/s and 5m/s into mph and then later convert it back to get the right answer. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can convert to mph and you should get the same answer. You might be making an error in conversion.

1. How do I convert m/s to mph?

To convert m/s to mph, you can use the simple formula: mph = (m/s) * 2.237. This means that you need to multiply the value in meters per second by 2.237 to get the equivalent value in miles per hour.

2. Why do we need to convert units of velocity from m/s to mph?

In many scientific applications, particularly in the field of physics and mechanics, it is important to have a standardized unit of measurement for velocity. While m/s is commonly used in the metric system, mph is often used in practical measurements and everyday situations. Converting between the two units allows for easier comparison and understanding of velocity values.

3. Is there a specific method for converting m/s to mph?

Yes, the most common method for converting m/s to mph is to use the conversion factor of 2.237. However, there are also online conversion calculators and apps that can help you quickly and accurately convert between the two units.

4. Can I use mph as a unit of velocity in scientific calculations?

Yes, while m/s is the standard unit of velocity in the metric system, mph can also be used in scientific calculations as long as all values are converted to the same unit. It is important to note which unit of velocity is being used in order to avoid errors in calculations.

5. Are there any other commonly used units for velocity besides m/s and mph?

Yes, some other commonly used units for velocity include kilometers per hour (km/h), feet per second (ft/s), and knots (nautical miles per hour). It is important to be familiar with these units and how to convert between them for different scientific applications.