Resultant Force magnitude of the acceleration.

In summary: Thank you both so much for your help...I got the answer right :) now I just have to understand the whole sin and cos thing hehe. We have a horrible teacher who is knew at our school and we are all so confused!
BuBbLeS01
I can't seem to figure this problem out...
Three forces in the x-y plane act on a 3.70 kg mass: 14.50 N directed at 478.0°, 11.00 N directed at 117.0°, and 10.70 N directed at 222.0°. All angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the counter-clockwise direction. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I am adding the x components and y components of the 3 forces then I am finding the resultant vector. Next I take that and divide it by the mass to get the acceleration, using Newtons 2nd Law...Is that not right?

Physics news on Phys.org
BuBbLeS01 said:
I can't seem to figure this problem out...
Three forces in the x-y plane act on a 3.70 kg mass: 14.50 N directed at 478.0°, 11.00 N directed at 117.0°, and 10.70 N directed at 222.0°. All angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the counter-clockwise direction. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I am adding the x components and y components of the 3 forces then I am finding the resultant vector. Next I take that and divide it by the mass to get the acceleration, using Newtons 2nd Law...Is that not right?

Show us your calculations. Without knowing them we cannot help you. It is possible that you might have made some mistake while taking the componenets.

FedEx said:
Show us your calculations. Without knowing them we cannot help you. It is possible that you might have made some mistake while taking the componenets.
I am sorry...lol I guess that would help! I am new! If you couldn't tell hehe..Okay here...
Fx1= 14.5 sin 478
Fx2= 11.0 sin 117
Fx3= 10.7 cos 222
sum= 14.65216223

Fy1= 14.5 cos 478
Fy2= 11.0 cos 117
Fy3= 10.7 sin 222
sum= -18.96093065

14.652^2 + -18.961^2= 574.20
Resultant force= 23.96
a= 23.96 N/3.7 kg

BuBbLeS01 said:
I am sorry...lol I guess that would help! I am new! If you couldn't tell hehe..Okay here...
Fx1= 14.5 sin 478
Fx2= 11.0 sin 117
Fx3= 10.7 cos 222
sum= 14.65216223

Fy1= 14.5 cos 478
Fy2= 11.0 cos 117
Fy3= 10.7 sin 222
sum= -18.96093065

14.652^2 + -18.961^2= 574.20
Resultant force= 23.96
a= 23.96 N/3.7 kg

Its ok. But now coming towards the problem why have you taken sines for the x component. for Fx1 and Fx2 you have taken sine. You have to take cosines. And simplify 478. So we get 478-360=118. Moreover F1 and F2 are in second quadrant and hence cos will be negative and hence you will get Fx1 and Fx2 negative. F3 is in third quadrant so even there Fx3 will be negative.
Turning towards the y components there you have taken cos instead of taking sine. Here as F1 and F2 are in second quadrant and in second quadrant sine is positive so you will be getting positive values for Fy1 and Fy2. Now F3 is in third quadrant and so you will be getting negative Fy3.
Hence you will be getting proper answers.Still if you are having any prob, I am always there.

FedEx said:
Its ok. But now coming towards the problem why have you taken sines for the x component. for Fx1 and Fx2 you have taken sine. You have to take cosines. And simplify 478. So we get 478-360=118. Moreover F1 and F2 are in second quadrant and hence cos will be negative and hence you will get Fx1 and Fx2 negative. F3 is in third quadrant so even there Fx3 will be negative.
Turning towards the y components there you have taken cos instead of taking sine. Here as F1 and F2 are in second quadrant and in second quadrant sine is positive so you will be getting positive values for Fy1 and Fy2. Now F3 is in third quadrant and so you will be getting negative Fy3.
Hence you will be getting proper answers.Still if you are having any prob, I am always there.
ok I am trying to understand this but first of I thought the to find the x components of f1 and f2 we used sin since the angle was opposite of the side?

For an angle in standard position (between the x-axis and force vector), sine will give the y component and cosine will give the x component. You have to be careful if the question says something like "20 degrees west of north", but here they state each angle is in standard position

BuBbLeS01 said:
ok I am trying to understand this but first of I thought the to find the x components of f1 and f2 we used sin since the angle was opposite of the side?

If you look at the problem graphically than you will notice that the x comp of F1 and F2 are through negative x-axis and that's what we are getting if we apply cos for F1 and F2. As cos 117 and cos118 are negative we will be getting Fx1 and Fx2 negative ie through the negative x axis.
Now try to solve the problem as i have mentioned. You will get your answer and then you will understand it on your own.

Thank you both so much for your help...I got the answer right :) now I just have to understand the whole sin and cos thing hehe. We have a horrible teacher who is knew at our school and we are all so confused!

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the net force acting on an object, which is the combination of all the individual forces acting on that object. It is the force that causes the object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How is the magnitude of the resultant force calculated?

The magnitude of the resultant force can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the resultant force is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual forces. In other words, the magnitude of the resultant force is the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual forces.

3. What is the relationship between resultant force and acceleration?

The resultant force and acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the resultant force increases, the acceleration of an object also increases. Similarly, if the resultant force decreases, the acceleration will also decrease.

4. How does the direction of the resultant force affect the acceleration of an object?

The direction of the resultant force determines the direction of the acceleration of an object. If the resultant force is in the same direction as the object's initial motion, it will increase the speed of the object. If the resultant force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed of the object.

5. Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if the individual forces acting on an object are balanced. This means that the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. In this case, the object will not accelerate and will maintain its current state of motion.