1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant Force

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    What type of equation would I use to find the resultant force?

Do I just add the vectors together? Or change them to X and Y variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2
    You could resolve each vector into x and y components, add the components and "unresolve" the 2 components back into a vector.

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't just algebraically add them, since in general they have different directions. Split each vector into its x and y components, then add the x components together to get Rx, and add the y components together to get Ry, and use pythagorus to get the magnitude of the resultant force (R = sq. rt. of (Rx^2 + Ry^2)), and use trig to get the direction of the resultant force (Ry/Rx=tan theta.)

5. Nov 10, 2007 #4
    If they are collinear you can just add them, as long as you take sign into account. Otherwise, it is best to resolve them into x,y,and z components.

6. Nov 10, 2007 #5
    Thank you!!!! I've been looking through my text book for an hour!!!! I remeber my teacher telling me about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?