Resultant Math Help: Compute 3rd Force

• Thread starter rejz55
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resultant
In summary, the student was trying to find the force that would add to the forces in the problem and result in the third force. He computed it using the vector addition method. However, there is a caveat to this calculation that he overlooked.
rejz55

Homework Statement

How am i going to compute for the 3rd force? the given are 163g 54degress S of E, 401g 12degrees E of N and the resultant 915g 180degrees or West.

The Attempt at a Solution

I computed it like the way a resultant is missing. I got 780.52g at 19.48degrees N of W. They say it is wrong. They say it should be computed differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
rejz55 said:
How am i going to compute for the 3rd force? the given are 163g 54degress S of E, 401g 12degrees E of N and the resultant 915g 180degrees or West.

I computed it like the way a resultant is missing. I got 780.52g at 19.48degrees N of W.

What was asked was to find a force, which added to the first two forces in the problem, will give the third force. If the forces from the problem are A, B and C, you want to solve

A+B+F = C for your unknown force F. (where A,B,C and F are 2-dimensional vectors)

It might be easier to represent those vectors with cartesian coordinates (find their vertical and horizontal components) and solve for the missing vector algebraically.

Also, of the two given vectors, the second one (401g, 12degrees E of N) is a lot stronger, and since it's going at a northward angle, I'd expect the missing vector to be southward.

I would suggest drawing the two given vectors with their tails eminating from the origin, and then connect their heads with the vector you're trying to find.

cryptoguy said:
I would suggest drawing the two given vectors with their tails eminating from the origin, and then connect their heads with the vector you're trying to find.

Wouldn't that just give you the resultant of those two vectors? I don't see how that resultant could equal the missing vector.

You're given vectors A, B, and R. You need to find vector C.

[tex] \vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = \vec{R} [/tex]

so

[tex] \vec{C} = \vec{R} - \vec{A} - \vec{B} [/tex]

Now break it down into componets

[tex] C_x = R_x - A_x - B_x [/tex]

and

[tex] C_y = R_y - A_y - B_y [/tex]

The magnitude is then found by

[tex] C = \sqrt{C_x + C_y} [/tex]

and the angle by

[tex] \theta = \tan^{-1}{\frac{C_y}{C_x}} [/tex]

CS

stewartcs said:
[tex] \theta = \tan^{-1}{\frac{C_y}{C_x}} [/tex]

One caveat with this that I forgot to mention: Be aware of what quadrant you are in because calculators will often give an apparently wrong angle from the arctan function.

JoshG said:
Wouldn't that just give you the resultant of those two vectors? I don't see how that resultant could equal the missing vector.

My mistake, I misread the problem. Since you have >2 vectors that make up the resultant, the component method (which stewartcs explained) would be easier. But the head-to-tail method would still work. If you compute the resultant of the two given vectors, and put that vector eminating from the same point as the resultant, the missing side of the triangle would be the vector you're looking for.

Thanks!

1. What does "compute 3rd force" mean?

When we talk about computing the 3rd force, we are referring to finding the resultant force when two or more forces act on an object. This is also known as vector addition or vector composition.

2. How do I calculate the 3rd force in a problem?

The 3rd force can be calculated by first finding the components of each force in the x and y directions. Then, add the x components together and the y components together. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force and use trigonometric functions to find the direction.

3. Can I use a calculator to compute the 3rd force?

Yes, you can use a calculator to compute the 3rd force. Most scientific calculators have functions for finding the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle, which are necessary for calculating the direction of the resultant force.

4. What are some real-life applications of computing the 3rd force?

Computing the 3rd force is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and architecture. It is essential for understanding the forces acting on structures such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the force needed to throw a ball a certain distance.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when computing the 3rd force?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert all forces to the same unit before adding them together. Another mistake is forgetting to account for the direction of the forces, which can result in an incorrect magnitude and direction for the resultant force. It is also essential to use proper vector notation when writing out the problem and solution.