1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant velocity of a plane and a vector addition diagram

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    --An airplane flies at 300 km/hr with a heading of 35* south of west, as a 78 km/hr wind blows in the direction of 55* south of east. The resultant velocity of the plane is...

--A force of 85 N S50*E, a force of 50 N N45*E, and a force of 70 N N30*W act concurrently on an object. Draw a vector diagram and find the resultant force.

I've tried to do these, I was absent from school a few days and missed instruction on how to work them out..I'd appreciate any help :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can use trig to seperate the vectors into perpendicular components (say a northward and a westward component) then you can do componentwise addition.

You could also use a protractor and a ruler, but it's harder to get precise answers that way.

4. Oct 18, 2004 #3
    ok i'm still confused.....i'm assuming that was for the 2nd question, does anyone know how to do the first?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?