1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant velocity of submerged cylinder

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    Hi all, this is not a homework question so it does not have a given answer and the question may be vague. It is something I need to know for my project, hope you guys can just give a few tips to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder of radius r metres, length L and mass m kg is immersed d metres in the sea. It is at static equilibrium along the z-axis. Friction is not negligible. If there is an underwater current of velocity v metres/sec, what is the resultant velocity of the cylinder?
    When the cylinder is moving at velocity v_c, I could add the velocity vectors v and v_c to get the resultant velocity, but I also wish to factor in the mass of the cylinder. How should I do that?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    When the current hits the cylinder, the cylinder accelerates and frictional force increases. The cylinder then reaches terminal velocity. But what I don't get is how to calculate the force of the current on the cylinder and the frictional force .

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?