Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Resultant velocity of submerged cylinder

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    Hi all, this is not a homework question so it does not have a given answer and the question may be vague. It is something I need to know for my project, hope you guys can just give a few tips to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder of radius r metres, length L and mass m kg is immersed d metres in the sea. It is at static equilibrium along the z-axis. Friction is not negligible. If there is an underwater current of velocity v metres/sec, what is the resultant velocity of the cylinder?
    When the cylinder is moving at velocity v_c, I could add the velocity vectors v and v_c to get the resultant velocity, but I also wish to factor in the mass of the cylinder. How should I do that?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    When the current hits the cylinder, the cylinder accelerates and frictional force increases. The cylinder then reaches terminal velocity. But what I don't get is how to calculate the force of the current on the cylinder and the frictional force .

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted