Noted and corrected, thank you!

In summary, a boat traveling north at 3.4 m/s across a river flowing east at 1.6 m/s will have a resultant velocity of 3.76 m/s in a direction 25.2 degrees east of north. It will take 53 seconds to cross the 180 m wide river and will travel a distance of 199 m from its starting point. To reach the bank directly opposite its starting point, the boat must steer at 28.1 degrees west of north.
jacknjersey

Homework Statement

a boat heads north at 3.4 m s^-1 across a river that flows East at 1.6 m s ^-1.
1)Calculate the resultant velocity of the boat and the time taken to cross the river which is 180 m wide.
2)What is the distance traveled from its starting point when the boat reaches the far bank?
3)what direction must the boat steer in order to reach the bank directly opposite its starting point?

Homework Equations

j 3.4 m/s + i 1.6 m/s
52.94 seconds x 3.76 m/s
i sin theta + j cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

1) j 3.4 m/s + i 1.6 m/s

j 3.76 m/s in a direction 25.2 degrees East of North. Time taken to cross is 180/3.4m/s which is 53 seconds.

2) distance traveled from starting point is 52.94s x 3.76 m/s = 199 m

3) to find direction:

i sin theata + j cos theta

3.4m/s (i sin theta + j cos theta) + 1.6i
where theta is the deviation from north. This requires 1.6 = =3.4 sin theta or theta - -28.1 degrees.

therefore the boat must head 28.1 degrees west of north.

How did I go?!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right. :smile:

jacknjersey said:
3.4m/s (i sin theta + j cos theta) + 1.6i
where theta is the deviation from north. This requires 1.6 = =3.4 sin theta or theta - -28.1 degrees.

therefore the boat must head 28.1 degrees west of north.

How did I go?!

It is perfect, except the typo in red. 1.6 = -3.4 sin theta .

ehild

What is the definition of resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity refers to the overall velocity of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is the vector sum of all individual velocities acting on the object.

How is resultant velocity calculated?

Resultant velocity is calculated by using vector addition. This involves adding the individual velocities together, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting vector is the resultant velocity.

Is resultant velocity the same as average velocity?

No, resultant velocity and average velocity are not the same. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, whereas resultant velocity takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

Can resultant velocity be negative?

Yes, resultant velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion, or that its velocity is decreasing.

How does resultant velocity affect an object's motion?

The resultant velocity affects an object's motion by determining its overall speed and direction. It is the combination of all individual velocities acting on the object, and can change if any of those individual velocities change.