Quantum Experiment: Results & Observer Impact?

• Thread starter Albert George
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an observer in a quantum experiment and how it can affect the outcome of the experiment. The use of a photographic film as a detector screen and the ability to observe the exact path through the double slit are also mentioned. The conversation also includes a mention of a theoretical physicist, Michio Kaku, and his experiment involving a laser and dust particles. However, the validity of the source of information, a dubious movie, is questioned. The person asking the questions is advised to browse through various discussions on the topic for more information.
Albert George
During a quantum experiment there is an observer and you get a result. You perform the same experiment without an observer and get another result. Is this true?

The link below is very good at explaining, it's animated too but that's good, it is fun to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc"

Again, can an observer by observing change the outcome of the experiment or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, this video is from a very dubious movie.

To address your question, say you put a photographic film as the detector screen, but you don't observe the result. Do you think it makes any difference in the result you see on the film just because you observe it later?

What you are confusing with, I think, is an observer or the ability to observe of the exact path through the double slit. This is a different question than what you asked. I would suggest that you browse through the various threads in here because this issue has been discussed ad nauseum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, this video is from a very dubious movie.
Okay but it is a good illustration.

ZapperZ said:
To address your question, say you put a photographic film as the detector screen, but you don't observe the result. Do you think it makes any difference in the result you see on the film just because you observe it later?

That is not what I meant. I mean that you observe the slits, what is happening to the electron? You shoot one at a time. You saw in the movie, shoot one at a time and you get an interference pattern but if you observe what is happening at the slits then it behaves like a particle.

ZapperZ said:
What you are confusing with, I think, is an observer or the ability to observe of the exact path through the double slit. This is a different question than what you asked. I would suggest that you browse through the various threads in here because this issue has been discussed ad nauseum.

Zz.

That's right, sorry for me confusing you. I have read about this and seen different movies. Maybe you have heard of the theoretical physicist Michio Kaku. He showed this experiment once. He used a laser. He took dust, or something resembling to dust, and powdered the air, don't know how to say it.
Anyway, it showed that before the slits the photons behaved as particles and after the slit it behaved as waves. How did he know that? The dust in the air made it possible so see the laser beam before the slits but not after. We can't see waves of light and the pattern was an interference pattern.

I will search on the forum about this. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a quantum experiment?

A quantum experiment is a scientific procedure designed to test the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What are the results of a quantum experiment?

The results of a quantum experiment can vary depending on the specific experiment, but they often involve observing the behavior of particles such as photons or electrons. These results can provide insights into the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

3. How does an observer impact the results of a quantum experiment?

In quantum mechanics, the observer effect refers to the idea that the act of observing a particle can influence its behavior. This is because the act of measuring a particle's properties changes its state, making it difficult to determine its true nature.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in relation to quantum experiment results?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and plays a significant role in the interpretation of experimental results.

5. How are quantum experiment results used in practical applications?

Quantum experiments have led to many technological advancements, including the development of quantum computers, sensors, and communication systems. They also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography, chemistry, and medicine.