Improve my resumeHow can I showcase my technical skills on my resume?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary: I implemented most of your advices except for changing "proficient with" to "proficient in" It doesn't sound right to me. It sounds right if I were to say "proficient in leadership" but in this case it doesn't sound right if I say "proficient in digital multi meter." Anybody agrees with me? I can't believe I put design build and test instead of test, build and design. lol. Must be backward day when typed my resume :PThanks for the great advices.
david90
please see my resume at http://www.tennis4real.com/resume.html

How can I improve my resume?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't advise any members to open a .doc file, let alone one hosted at a website other than PF. Perhaps you should convert the file into .pdf and attach it to your post.

How could you not trust a fellow pf? :P

I converted to html

david90 said:

Nice Resume. Seems more directed at a hardware position, based on your skills and experience. You looking to move more into software?

BTW, PSpice is usually capitalized that way, rather than Pspice (small point)

I'd also recommend posting your “www.tennis4real.com/portfolio.doc”[/URL] as a PDF. You can get a free PDF writer at PrimoPDF.com

Good luck!

I haven't gotten past your objective, but I have a couple of suggestions

Seeking an associate embedded software engineering position with a company that looks for a motivated candidate with excellent problem solving skill and a strong work ethic.

I would suggest

Seeking an associate embedded software engineering position with a company needing a motivated candidate with excellent problem solving skills and a strong work ethic.

Not too happy with that, but maybe others will have a better suggestion. You could start it off with "motivated...

I see other grammatical errors, if someone else doesn't point them out, I will bring them up when I get home. Cristo and Gokul are grammar gurus, maybe one of them will chime in.

Here's my comments, for what they're worth:

I agree with Evo, that you should probably start your objective with "Motivated..., i.e.

Motivated candidate with excellent problem solving skills and strong work ethic seeks an associate embedded software engineering position.

though that may sound a little like something out of a personal column! Bullet point 3 in qualifications, change to "proficient in..."

Prof experience bullet point 1: surely you "design, build and test", rather than the other way around; point 2 "successfully troubleshooted..." (or troubleshot, though I'm not sure that's a word); bullet point 4 setup is a noun, change to "...set up..."; bullet pt 7, change to "tests"; bullet 11, change & for "and"; bullet 12 change "comparing" to "compared"

That's all I can see on first glance. I can't help at all with the actual content, but hope that helps a little!

david90 said:

One thing I can say:
Whatever you say in "Summary of Qualifications:", you should prove it somewhere in the resume. And, the points in it are more like what are your qualification:
So, I think "Successfully designed, built and tested microcontroller based projects " doesn't fit it there?

cristo said:
point 2 "successfully troubleshooted..." (or troubleshot, though I'm not sure that's a word);

Yeah, troubleshot would be the word, but still sounds too funny. How about change:

"Successfully troubleshoot and fixed many electronic circuits."

to:

"Successful at troubleshooting and fixing many electronic circuits."

cristo said:
Here's my comments, for what they're worth:

I agree with Evo, that you should probably start your objective with "Motivated..., i.e.

Motivated candidate with excellent problem solving skills and strong work ethic seeks an associate embedded software engineering position.

though that may sound a little like something out of a personal column! Bullet point 3 in qualifications, change to "proficient in..."

Prof experience bullet point 1: surely you "design, build and test", rather than the other way around; point 2 "successfully troubleshooted..." (or troubleshot, though I'm not sure that's a word); bullet point 4 setup is a noun, change to "...set up..."; bullet pt 7, change to "tests"; bullet 11, change & for "and"; bullet 12 change "comparing" to "compared"

That's all I can see on first glance. I can't help at all with the actual content, but hope that helps a little!

Thanks for the great advices.

I implemented most of your advices except for changing "proficient with" to "proficient in"
It doesn't sound right to me. It sounds right if I were to say "proficient in leadership" but in this case it doesn't sound right if I say "proficient in digital multi meter." Anybody agrees with me?

I can't believe I put design build and test instead of test, build and design. lol. Must be backward day when typed my resume :P

I really like

"Motivated candidate with excellent problem solving skills and strong work ethic seeks an associate embedded software engineering position. "

It sounds very concise.

berkeman said:
Yeah, troubleshot would be the word, but still sounds too funny. How about change:

"Successfully troubleshoot and fixed many electronic circuits."

to:

"Successful at troubleshooting and fixing many electronic circuits."

I can't find the past tense of troubleshoot on webster.com. Instead I changed it to "Successfully diagnosed and fixed many electronic circuits." instead.

I want to express that I troubleshooted and fixed circuit at my previous job.

david90 said:
I implemented most of your advices except for changing "proficient with" to "proficient in"
It doesn't sound right to me. It sounds right if I were to say "proficient in leadership" but in this case it doesn't sound right if I say "proficient in digital multi meter." Anybody agrees with me?

Yes. You are proficient with objects, and proficient in skills.

david90 said:
I can't believe I put design build and test instead of test, build and design. lol. Must be backward day when typed my resume :P

But you just did it again... The physical order is design, build and test. (and then iterate!)

Looks like others here have pointed out grammatical hiccups. I haven't read all the posts here, but I shall assume the grammar has been ironed out by now.

There was one point I want to address, and maybe Berkeman should respond to it. I don't think it's a good idea to say that you (the OP) are proficient with scopes, spectrum analyzers, function generators and the like. That's kind of elementary, isn't it? And DVMs? Do you really need to say on your resume that you know how to use a DVM?

Gokul43201 said:
Looks like others here have pointed out grammatical hiccups. I haven't read all the posts here, but I shall assume the grammar has been ironed out by now.

There was one point I want to address, and maybe Berkeman should respond to it. I don't think it's a good idea to say that you (the OP) are proficient with scopes, spectrum analyzers, function generators and the like. That's kind of elementary, isn't it? And DVMs? Do you really need to say on your resume that you know how to use a DVM?

good point.

thanks.

berkeman said:
Yes. You are proficient with objects, and proficient in skills.

But you just did it again... The physical order is design, build and test. (and then iterate!)

I did it again. :)

Gokul43201 said:

Good point about the DVM, I missed that.

On 'scopes, spectrum analyzers, function generators (and especially my favorite, curve tracers), for an entry-level position, I like to see it. One reason is that it gives me implied permission to ask anything I want to about those instruments, including how they work and what kinds of things you use them for.

When I see that on a resume for somebody I'm going to interview, I will sometimes take them out to the lab, and ask them to set up the instrument to make a particular reading. If it's an oscilloscope, I put it into Stop mode, so you don't get to fiddle with the controls and see the waveform changing while you hunt and peck to try to get the setup right. Nope. You get one chance to set the controls, and then you get to press Single Shot, and show me what I wanted to see. Great stuff.

Or with a Spectrum Analyzer or Impedance Analyzer, I do a similar thing. I want to see something on the first sweep of the display, so please set it up before starting the sweep.

You can probably see why I like using the Curve Tracer for this part of the interview :devil: Don't list "Curve Tracer" as one of your proficiencies, unless you really can set it up right the first time (that's even hard for me for some measurement modes!)

What is a resume critique?

A resume critique is a review and evaluation of a person's resume, typically done by a professional or someone with experience in hiring and recruiting. It involves analyzing the content, format, and overall effectiveness of the resume in presenting the person's skills, qualifications, and experience.

Why is a resume critique important?

A resume critique is important because it helps individuals improve their resumes to increase their chances of getting hired. It can also help identify any errors or areas for improvement in the resume before it is submitted to potential employers.

How can I get a resume critique?

There are various ways to get a resume critique. You can ask a friend or colleague who has experience in hiring or recruiting to review your resume. There are also online tools and services that offer resume critiques for a fee. Additionally, many career centers and job search websites offer free resume critiques as part of their services.

What are the common mistakes to look out for in a resume critique?

Some common mistakes in resumes include spelling and grammar errors, lack of consistency in formatting, irrelevant or outdated information, and not highlighting relevant skills and experiences. It is also essential to ensure that the resume is tailored to the specific job or industry being applied for.

How often should I get a resume critique?

It is recommended to get a resume critique whenever you are updating your resume or applying for a new job. If possible, it is best to get multiple critiques from different sources to get a well-rounded evaluation of your resume.