1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resume for a summer internship

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this should be here or in 'Academic Guidance' but I'm sure the mods will make that call.

Anyway, I accepted a summer internship at JPL/NASA this summer and just received an email that had me complete some registration steps. One of the steps wants me to upload a resume, which I don't have currently so I'm sorta confused on how to start.
    As an undergrad my experience is super limited save for a part time job. How does someone with such little to say in terms of 'experience', go and write a resume?

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

danago

Gold Member

You can include non-work related things, such as academic (prizes, scholarships, etc.) and non-academic (sport, arts etc.) achievements , or your involvement in any clubs (university, sport, etc.), especially if you held a position of leadership or contributed in some way. Perhaps if there are any particular projects in which you led a group of people at university, you could also mention then. And even though your actual work experience may be limited to a part time job, it is worth writing a bit about it anyway; it is better than having a blank space under "employment history". It could also be worth having a small section on personal interests, just to add some character to your resume. I know some people think it is pointless (and maybe in some circumstances it is), but I know that my small list of personal interests has sparked some interesting discussion (often because of a common interest with the interviewer) in a few interviews I've had, which can only be a good thing I think.

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I think a lot of people think resume as just the typical name, summary, skills, work experience etc... I would advise you to research "functional resume." It works well for people who have limited work experience. Instead of listing work history, you list functional skills and give concrete examples on how you have used this skills. I tend to prefer to read these resume than work history from undergraduate because your work history is clearly limited but your skills may not be.

Resume writing is extremely hard to do for most people. Your university should have a career center that can help you. Look this up and good luck!

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4
    How did you accept an internship without presenting a resume to recruiters in the first place?

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess he is a really good networker.

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6
    It's through a summer REU sorta thing. I didn't think I had to present a resume since it's through school, but the email I received today is stating otherwise.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook