Resume for REUs

• Thread starter tourjete
  • Start date
I'm getting a head start on applying for REUs this weekend and am currently typing up my resume since one of the applications asks for one.

Should I put clubs I was in during high school on the resume? A lot of what I did in high school isn't relevant to physics at all (I was heavily involved in theatre and music during high school) so I understand leaving that off the resume. But I was also the vice-president of a club and would like to put that on my resume if its socially acceptable... I go to a university of 25,000 and don't really have anything that screams "leader" on my application otherwise.

Answers and Replies

eri
REU programs don't really care about leadership skills. They care about whether or not you'll be good at research. They want to see things like computer skills (programming, multiple operating systems, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc), good grades in your classes, and hopefully that you've done some research at your own school already.

REU programs don't really care about leadership skills. They care about whether or not you'll be good at research. They want to see things like computer skills (programming, multiple operating systems, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc), good grades in your classes, and hopefully that you've done some research at your own school already.
Thanks! I guess I'll leave off the leadership experience. I am currently doing research at my school, so I guess that gives me a better chance?

eri
Having some research experience definitely helps - play that up in your application, and ask that professor for a letter of recommendation.