1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resume skills listing choice

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello,

I am working on my resume, and I was wondering when listing my skills, should I use abbreviated versions for the skills. For example, in my field of study HPLC is an acronym forhigh performance liquid chromatography, but when I list it on my resume "skills" section, should I say HPLC or high performance liquid chromatography? It is ubiquitous in the field, but I am not sure if HR will know what it means.

Lets assume I am applying for jobs in my field.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Do not use jargon or abbreviations or anything else that may be taken as agrammatic or misspelling.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A lot can depend on the specifics of the job. As a general rule it's a good idea to avoid ambiquity. HR staff will scan for key words, but relying on HR staff to select your resume out of a slushpile in a very ineffective job search strategy to begin with. Ideally you will have established some kind of contact with people in the dpeartment with the position to be filled, managers, people on the hiring committee, etc. Then you have someone on the inside keepign an eye out for your resume or even requesting that HR keep an eye out for it.

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's a hard call, IMO, and probably depends on the term and how common it is. If you have room, it probably wouldn't hurt to write it as "High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)" the first time you use it, and just use the acronym after that. For more common acronyms that HR is probably familiar with, I wouldn't bother spelling them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook