Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Resurrection of the Quiz

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A while ago we used to have a regular Sunday Quiz in the chat rooms. And this Sunday, I am likely going to be in a hotel room on my own :frown:, so I was thinking: would anyone be interested in having a General Knowledge Quiz during chat?

I would be more than happy to write the questions and run the quiz if there was enough interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    Awesome idea!!!

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, several members have requested quizzes!!

We can set the time, I'll do the score keeping.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A quiz would be fun!! :smile:

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent - you can be my glamorous assistant :tongue2:

The best time for me would probably be 9pm GMT and the quiz would probably run for an hour.

I'll wait and see if there is anymore interest before I start writing the questions - it'll not be much fun with just the three of us!

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I'll do my best to be there, Hoot.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #7

Borek

Judging from the only quiz I took part in (it was run by Gokul if memory serves me well), I will better just sit and watch.

9. Sep 1, 2011 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wrote and ran a quiz a few years ago. I found it's tough to come up with questions that aren't easily googled (i.e., it should not reward the person who is fastest at copy-paste-google). The quiz should be based on knowledge that is independent of culture, too - that's a toughie.

10. Sep 1, 2011 #9

Borek

Plenty of possible problems. There are movies that everyone knows, so question about the movie can be OK - but quite often movies are shown in other countries with a translated title, and quite often the translated title is not identical to the original. I remember Gokul asked about a movie, and I was sure I know what the movie is - but I still had no idea what the answer was.

For example - in what movie Luke meets Yoda? The Empire Counter-attacks :rolleyes:

11. Sep 1, 2011 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sure, I'm up for kicking some *** on a Brit-themed quiz!

That's the topic, right, Hoot? :biggrin:

12. Sep 1, 2011 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not intending the quiz to be all that serious! It will be fun with lots of unusual questions!
    I'll be designing a relatively "google proof" quiz in that most of the questions won't be easily google-able and those who know that answer will be quicker at answering than those who don't.
    Of course! A word of warning to those who don't know - I'm British, so the quiz is bound to be ever so slightly eccentric. :wink:

I'll come up with a format and make an announcement before Sunday!

13. Sep 1, 2011 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd love to come and teach cristo a thing or two, but I'm probably going to be at the pub. Besides there has to be a few really good real ale places there Hoot. :wink:

14. Sep 1, 2011 #13
    I'm all for it.

15. Sep 2, 2011 #14
    Well I know the tedium of a Sunday away from your family, in a hotel room, unable to progress the job that you are there for because everyone who works for the customer is spending Sunday with their families. I would love to participate if I am welcome.

16. Sep 2, 2011 #15

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course! Everyone is more than welcome. Details to follow shortly.

17. Sep 2, 2011 #16

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There probably is, but I'm giving a talk in the morning so I want to keep a fairly clear head!

18. Sep 2, 2011 #17

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Announcing the Physics Forums Quiz
    Sunday September 4th 2011
    21:00 GMT

This coming Sunday will see the resurrection of the Physics Forums Quiz during Sunday's chat session. The quiz is just for fun and all are welcome! The quiz will take place in the dedicated quiz chat room. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time.

Rules
    1. The quiz is purely for fun, anyone taking it too seriously will be slapped with a fish!
    2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the quiz master's chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz master will acknowledge the answer by saying "{NAME} correct".
    3. To discourage guessing, any incorrect answers will be deducted 2 points.
    4. The quiz master's decision is final (even if ultimately wrong! :tongue2:).
    5. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification during each round. There will be a break between each round where members may seek clarification on any answer that was given during the previous round. However, points will not be reallocated.
    6. If a member gives multiple answers to a question, only the first answer will be taken into account.
    7. Members should use white font only, with no decorations (such as bold, italics or underlining).

Format
    The will be three rounds:
    1. Science, Nature & Technology
    2. The Arts, Entertainment & Popular Culture
    3. General Knowledge

Prizes & Awards
    1. The member with the lowest score gets slapped with a fish.
    2. The winner gets to not get slapped with a fish.

19. Sep 2, 2011 #18

Borek

What kind of a fish?

20. Sep 2, 2011 #19

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The winner chooses the fish :wink:

21. Sep 2, 2011 #20

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the one You and I should request if we participate.

_41253676_fish_pa203b.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook