Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retaining Ring Removal

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    This is more of a practical question - what is the proper way to remove the retaining ring shown below? Note that it does not contain lug holes, so I am not sure whether retaining/snap-ring or circlip pliers would be capable of removing the ring.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The right way is using a C-clip remover. The easy way is with safety glasses and needle-nose pliers or a small screwdriver.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Whatever way you remove it at some stage it will go spoing and you'll spend the next 47 minutes on your hands and knees looking for it.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    That is commonly called an "e-clip". They slide on/off the shaft sideways.

Removal can be accomplished two ways:
    1. E-clip removal tools push against the legs (radially or perpendicular to the shaft). Small needle-nose pliers can be used if the clip is large enough.
    vw-heater-remove-eclip-thumb.jpg

1. Insert a small blade screwdriver is into one of the open spaces and twist.
    UWCaseCleaning_0008_thumb.jpg

Drape a rag over the assembly as you are removing the clip, to avoid Jobra's all-too-common scenario. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  6. Aug 23, 2011 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Good response, pantaz, and good illustrations. I use another method, too, if I can. Grab the back side of the clip (away from the open end) with a tiny pair of needlenose pliers and just pull it off the shaft. A co-worker gave me a Sears gift certificate one year, and I used it on this set of mini-tools. They get 'way more use than I ever expected.

tools_nocont.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook