Retaking Classical Mechanics for Higher GPA

In summary, a Physics major has completed their junior year and received a C in the first level of the upper level Classical Mechanics sequence due to working part time. They are considering retaking the course in their senior year to improve their understanding and boost their Physics GPA. Their overall GPA is 3.326 and their Physics GPA is 3.376. Some suggest retaking the course, while others advise against it. The student is also concerned about the C standing out on their transcript and its potential impact on graduate school applications. Some commenters suggest that retaking the course may not be necessary, especially if the student has already done well in related courses such as Mechanics II. The school allows retakes, but both grades will show on the
PurpleBook
I am a Physics major, just completed my junior year. During my fall semester I took the first level to the upper level Classical Mechanics sequence and received a C. I know that this was because I was working part time at that time so I was not able to put in as much time as I should have into my studies. I have been thinking about retaking the course during the fall of my senior year. Is this a good idea, or would graduate schools look down upon this when they see my transcript? The main reason I would like to retake the course is just because I feel like I haven't learned the material properly, and I would also like to boost my Physics GPA (which is rather low at the moment)
My grades are as follows for my Physics/math courses required for my school's program:
Physics I: A; Physics II; B+; Physics III: B+; Physics IV: B+
Quantum Mechanics I: B; Quantum II: B-; Mechanics I: C; Mechanics II: A
Calc I, II: B+; Calc III: A; Diff Eq: A; Linear Algebra: A; Partial Diff Eq: A-
My overall GPA is a 3.326 and my Physics GPA is a 3.376

Thank you in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a physics major, so my comment may not be that helpful.

I don't think retaking a class to improve your grade would hurt your chance of getting into a graduate school, unless your original grade for that class is like B or above. If you feel like you haven't learned the material properly the first time, then you are actually doing a favor by retaking a course, since you are likely to see that stuff again in grad school.

The only thing I am wondering here is that you got an A in Mechanics II. Isn't Mechanics II a continuation of Mechanics I? If you got an A in its sequence that already shows that you know something about mechanics already, so retaking it might seem pointless (in fact, it shows that you have made some improvement!). But again, I am not a physics major, so I might be wrong on this.

My ultimate advice: Do it only if you have nothing more important to do than retaking the first semester of mechanics.

Thank you for your advice.
Mechanics I and Mechanics II covered completely different topics, even though Mech I and II both used the same textbook. I guess I just had more time to study for it, giving me an A. I just feel like C in Mech I really stands out on my transcript, and I'm sure it looks bad to have a C in one of the upper level courses.
At this point, so far most people have suggested that I do not retake it, but I don't know yet.

Does your school allow you to retake 'C' grades for credit & grade?

Yes. My school allows retakes, and the new grade will replace the old grade even if it is lower. But both grades show up on the transcript.

PurpleBook said:
Yes. My school allows retakes, and the new grade will replace the old grade even if it is lower. But both grades show up on the transcript.

I am in a similar boat. I just got a C+ in classical mechanics 1 and am pretty upset about it. I wish I could have the option to retake it, but that's not happening at my school. If you got an "A" in classical mechanics 2 though, then I think graduate schools may see that as a great improvement(at least, that's what I myself am hoping). You also got B's in Quantum 1 and 2. There are definitely things you take from classical that you use in quantum, so there again it seems like you made up for a C. I wouldn't worry about it. I assume you have not taken E&M and stat. mech yet? If you keep making better grades and show improvement from 1 small slip up, I can't see why a graduate school would hold 1 "bad" grade against you when you have made better grades in arguably just as advanced/more advanced courses.

Even if your school allows retakes, it's very common not to allow a retake of a class you earned a C or better in - otherwise, rich students (you can't use financial aid to retake a class you passed) could just keep retaking everything until they had a 4.0. And retaking a class you passed (C or better is a passing grade in a class for your major) does look bad to grad schools if you could have been learning something else instead - and especially if you then did well in the second semester of the course, which means you've learned enough in Mech I to apply it.

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles, systems of particles, and rigid bodies, under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and can be used to describe and predict the behavior of objects in our everyday world.

2. Why should I retake Classical Mechanics for a higher GPA?

Classical Mechanics is a fundamental course in physics that is often required for many science and engineering majors. It provides a strong foundation for understanding more advanced concepts and theories in physics. By retaking the course, you can improve your understanding and mastery of the subject, leading to a higher GPA.

3. How can retaking Classical Mechanics impact my future career?

Many careers in science, engineering, and technology require a strong understanding of Classical Mechanics. By retaking the course and improving your GPA, you can demonstrate your knowledge and skills in this area, making you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.

4. Can I retake Classical Mechanics even if I did well in the course?

Yes, you can retake Classical Mechanics even if you did well in the course. Retaking the course can help you solidify your understanding of the subject and potentially improve your grade, leading to a higher overall GPA.

5. How can I prepare for retaking Classical Mechanics?

To prepare for retaking Classical Mechanics, you can review your notes and textbooks from the previous course, as well as practice problems and past exams. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions. It's important to identify any weak areas and focus on improving them to increase your chances of success in the course.