Retaking a Class: Impact on Graduate Apps w/ A Grade

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: To be honest, I don't think it would look very well on my transcript if I were to retake the course though.In summary, retaking a course may not look very well on your transcript if you don't do well in the class the second time around.
Winzer
Suppose I get a C/D in one class. I then choose to retake it. How will this look on a graduate application? Assuming I get an A on the retake.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the very least, the A in the course the second time around will show that you have learned from your mistakes and were able to improve your understanding of the material dramatically. A D and then an A in a course will look better than just a D in the course, in my opinion. This is, of course, assuming you do much better the second time around. A D and then a C- will probably not help your case much.

I have had the worst luck this semester with this class, most of it due to my lab partner who does not share the workload in this class [lab based class] and sometimes refuses to do his work. I am debating if I should drop it [no W] or retake it.

In general this semester I feel is not representative of my abilities. I have had the following schedule: Engineering Thermodynamics, Quantum and Special Rel. (Honors), Analog Circuitry, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and gym. I guess i am getting at: If I do not do great this semester, but do awesome in the semesters to come, will this semester haunt me for a good grad school? I am a Engineering Physics major by the way.

Everyone has tough semesters, and, by the looks of it, yours is one of the tougher ones. I would not worry about it too much. Do the best you can this semester, and try to lighten your load for the semesters ahead if you can. It looks like you are taking ~16 credits of physics/engineering. That is ALOT. You may want to take less physics/engineering classes at one time so you can have more time to devote to each class.

Yes I understand. I am just following the schedule for my major given by the school. Enlight of this I will only be taking 12 hrs in the fall. Intermediate Mech., Digital Circuits, Mathematical Physics, and Advanced Lab. I just prey that this semester does not ruin me.

Winzer said:
I am debating if I should drop it [no W] or retake it.

If there's no penalty for dropping the class, why not drop it and retake it?

Why would anyone want to re-take a course if they didn't fail it? If your mark was low, use the next summer to re-learn it. I imagine that in higher years you will be assumed to know this knowledge, and if you shine in upper years it would show you learned it anyway. Sounds like a waste of money to me.

That's kind of how I feel. If I saw someone had gotten a C in a course and then took the class again, it would seem like they were wasting their time, not up to learning on their own, more concerned about the grade than the knowledge, etc. Not to sound so negative, but I think graduate admissions people, while liking high GPAs, tend to look more for highly self-motivated students, and taking a class you already passed seems kind of suspect.

I'm in sort of the same situation.

I had a tough semester and depending on how well I do on my exams I may have some low grades. What my advice is (the advice I've been given too) is to review the material over your break and just try to do well the following semester. If you do well in classes which require the previous material then there probably isn't much value in retaking the course.

1. What is the impact of retaking a class on graduate school applications?

Retaking a class can have both positive and negative impacts on graduate school applications. It shows determination and a willingness to improve, but it also raises questions about the student's ability to succeed in challenging courses.

2. Will retaking a class affect my GPA for graduate school applications?

Yes, retaking a class will likely affect your GPA for graduate school applications. Most schools will include both attempts of the class in your GPA calculation, which could either raise or lower your overall GPA depending on the grade you receive.

3. Can I retake a class I received a passing grade in?

Most schools allow students to retake a class they have already passed, but the policies may vary. It's important to check with your school and understand their policies before retaking a class.

4. How will graduate schools view multiple attempts at the same class?

Graduate schools may view multiple attempts at the same class differently. Some schools may only consider the highest grade, while others may average the grades or consider both attempts in their evaluation. It's important to research the policies of the schools you are applying to.

5. Is it better to retake a class or take an advanced course instead?

It depends on the specific situation and the requirements of the graduate programs you are applying to. If the class you are retaking is a prerequisite for your desired program, it may be better to retake it and aim for a higher grade. However, if you have the option to take a more advanced course, it may demonstrate your ability to handle challenging material and could be viewed positively by graduate schools.