Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retaking Elementary Analysis

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    So, I took elementary analysis this summer and I got a 'D,' which was very annoying simply because half of our class got 'F's and it would have made such a big difference if my teacher would have just curved the class. Anyways, I'm not interested in taking any other courses which require elementary analysis as a pre-req since I'm doing applied math for my major. However, would it be worth me retaking elementary analysis so that I can get a higher grade than a D in your opinion?

Here's the course summary: Rigorous treatment of certain topics introduced in calculus including continuity, differentiation and integration, power series, sequences and series, uniform convergence and continuity.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why should the teacher curve the grades to pass students who haven't mastered the material?

In my opinion, for what it's worth, yes. I would think you would want to understand the basics of analysis if you intend to be an applied mathematician.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook