Is Retaking Elementary Analysis Worth It for Applied Mathematicians?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's experience in elementary analysis class and their frustration with receiving a low grade. They express their disinterest in taking any more courses that require elementary analysis as a prerequisite, but question if it would be worth retaking the course for a higher grade. The course itself focuses on rigorous topics in calculus, and the speaker believes it is important for applied mathematicians to have a strong understanding of analysis.
andyroo
So, I took elementary analysis this summer and I got a 'D,' which was very annoying simply because half of our class got 'F's and it would have made such a big difference if my teacher would have just curved the class. Anyways, I'm not interested in taking any other courses which require elementary analysis as a pre-req since I'm doing applied math for my major. However, would it be worth me retaking elementary analysis so that I can get a higher grade than a D in your opinion?

Here's the course summary: Rigorous treatment of certain topics introduced in calculus including continuity, differentiation and integration, power series, sequences and series, uniform convergence and continuity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should the teacher curve the grades to pass students who haven't mastered the material?

In my opinion, for what it's worth, yes. I would think you would want to understand the basics of analysis if you intend to be an applied mathematician.

What is "Retaking Elementary Analysis"?

"Retaking Elementary Analysis" is a course designed for students who need to review or improve their understanding of basic concepts in mathematical analysis. It is often taken by students who struggled with their initial exposure to the subject or by those who need a refresher before moving on to more advanced courses.

Who should consider retaking Elementary Analysis?

Students who received a low grade in their first attempt at Elementary Analysis or who feel that they did not fully grasp the material should consider retaking the course. It is also recommended for students who are planning to pursue a major or career that heavily relies on mathematical analysis.

What topics are covered in "Retaking Elementary Analysis"?

The course covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences and series, and basic proofs. It also includes a review of algebra and trigonometry, as these topics are essential for understanding analysis.

How is "Retaking Elementary Analysis" different from a regular Elementary Analysis course?

"Retaking Elementary Analysis" is specifically designed for students who need extra support and practice in understanding the material. It may have a slower pace, more review sessions, and additional resources compared to a regular course. It also focuses on building a strong foundation in the subject rather than just covering the required material.

What are the benefits of retaking Elementary Analysis?

Retaking the course can help students improve their understanding and confidence in mathematical analysis. It can also improve their grades and prepare them for more advanced courses. Additionally, they may gain a deeper understanding of the subject and be better equipped to apply it in their future studies or career.