1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded potentials

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Griffith's problem 10.8
    Show that retarded potentials satisfy the Lorentz condition. Hint proceed as follows
    a) Show that
    [tex] \nabla\cdot\left(\frac{J}{R}\right)=\frac{1}{R}\left(\nabla\cdot\vec{J}\right)+\frac{1}{R}\left(\nabla '\cdot\vec{J}\right)-\nabla '\cdot\left(\frac{J}{R}\right) [/tex]
    b) Show that [tex] \nabla\cdot\vec{J}=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\vec{J}}{\partial t_{r}}\cdot(\nabla R)[/tex]
    c) Note that [tex] \vec{J}=\vec{J}\left(\vec{r'},t_{r}\right)[/tex]
    [tex] \nabla '\cdot J=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial J}{\partial t_{r}}\cdot (\nabla ' R) [/tex]

where [tex] \vec{R}=\vec{r}-\vec{r'} [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I managed to do the first and second parts but its the third part that i am unable to prove.
    Ok so i know that [tex] \vec{J}=\vec{J}\left(\vec{r'},t_{r}\right)=\vec{J}\left(\vec{r'},t-\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r'}}{c}\right)[/tex]

To make it simpler for me to understand lets do it for one dimension.
    [tex] \frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial x'} = \frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial t_{r}}\frac{\partial t_{r}}{\partial x'}[/tex]
    But [tex] \frac{\partial t_{r}}{\partial x'}=\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial R}{\partial x'} [/tex]
    so [tex] \frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial x'} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial t_{r}}\frac{\partial R}{\partial x'}[/tex]

THat explains the second term which i need to get in the proof. But how do i get the first term?

Also is it supposed to be [tex] \nabla\cdot J=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}[/tex]
    or is it supposed to be [tex] \nabla'\cdot J=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}[/tex]

Thanks for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    Use the product rules:
    [tex] \vec \nabla \cdot \left(\frac{\vec J}{R}\right) = {1\over R}\left(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec J\right) + \vec J \cdot \vec{\nabla} \left({1\over R}\right)[/tex]

[tex] \vec{\nabla}' \cdot \left(\frac{\vec J}{R}\right) = {1\over R}\left(\vec{\nabla}' \cdot \vec J\right) + \vec J \cdot \vec{\nabla}' \left({1\over R}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\vec R = \vec r -\vec{r}'[/tex]

[tex]\vec \nabla ({1\over R}) = -\vec{\nabla}' ({1\over R})[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    i cna use that part for the first two
    but i cannot get the second part to work

while i was asleep i thought of something though

does this work? I have clearly forgotten how to apply chain rule....

[tex] \frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial x'}=\frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial x'}+\frac{\partial J_{x}}{\partial t_{r}}\frac{\partial t_{r}}{\partial x'}\frac{\partial x}{\partial x'}[/tex]

is this correct??
  5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    I will show you the steps for [itex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec J[/itex]

[tex]\frac{\partial t_r}{\partial x} = -{1\over c}\frac{\partial R}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec J = \frac{\partial J_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial J_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial J_z}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial J_x}{\partial t_r}\frac{\partial t_r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial J_y}{\partial t_r}\frac{\partial t_r}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial J_z}{\partial t_r}\frac{\partial t_r}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex] = -{1\over c} \frac{\partial \vec {J}}{\partial t_r}\cdot (\vec \nabla R)[/tex]

Can you prove the same for Div J'?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    I got it now thanks a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?