1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded potentials

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working through the 3rd edition of Griffiths' Electrodynamics book and have gotten stuck on some details in example 10.2, which describes an infinite straight wire carrying a current I0 for t>0.

The figure included with the example illustrates a wire in the vertical z direction with element dz. A point P is located at distance s from the wire. The distance from dz to P is given by script_r, and forms a right triangle with base of z.

The part that is unclear to me is the following. Griffiths states:
    "For t < s/c, the 'news' has not yet reached P and the potential is zero. For t > s/c, only the segment |z| [itex]\leq \sqrt{(ct)2 - s2}[/itex]
    contributes (outside this range tr is negative..."

2. Relevant equations
    tr = t - (script_r/c)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the expression t = s/c represents the time it takes for the wave to traverse the distance s to get to P. What I'm unclear about is how to properly setup and analyze this problem if it wasn't an example. Is the distance s used to establish a lower bound for the time? Griffiths then uses (ct)2 in the expression for |z|.

Also, why does I(tr) = 0 when tr is negative?

Hopefully this doesn't come across as scattered. Sometimes I get stuck on minor details that should be obvious but aren't at the time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2
    In this problem we are to derive the electric and magnetic fields at any point P away from an infinite straight wire carrying a constant current I0.
    Generally, E = -∇V - ∂A/∂t and B = ∇ x A
    Since the wire has equal positive and negative charges, V = 0 everywhere outside the wire. Once we determine A then the above eqn.s allow us to determine E and B.
    I assume you agree with their eqn. for A(s,t) at point P, which was derived from eqn. 10.19 referring to Fig. 10.4 analysis.
    As you noted the retarded time, tr = t - (script_r/c) ,where (script_r/c) is the time delay for the source (in this case the dz contribution of the current I0) to reach P traveling at speed c. The first potential contribution reaches P when t = s/c. Before that time A = 0. As t increases, the potential contributions are from +z to –z only, because beyond those the contributions haven’t had enough time to arrive (that is, their tr is negative, and hence their contribution to A is zero).
    The integration for A(s,t) at P from + z to – z is determined as shown, and E and B are thus determined as a function of t. From the results you can see how E = 0 and B is as noted as t approached infinity.

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your reply! This definitely helps clarify!

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4
    Thank from my side as well

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted