Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded time approximation

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    Hello again!
    Facing some problems (my exam is taking place tomorrow... help is needed. Many thanks in advance!)

I need to find an approximation for a retarded time. I don't understand how. This is what my lecturer wrote:

[itex]sin(\varphi-\omega t)=exp(i\varphi'-i\omega(t-r/c)-i\omega(r'cos\theta cos\theta'+r'sin\theta sin\theta'cos(\varphi-\varphi'))/c [/itex]

Could you please explain how ?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    I think you copy incorrect. You are assuming harmonic wave in you case where it is a sinusoidal wave. Usually it is represented by cosine wave:

[tex] cos ( \beta z -\omega t -\phi) = cos ( \omega t -\beta z +\phi) = \Re e[e^{j\omega t}e^{-j\beta z}e^{j\phi}] [/tex]

The way you look at this is the peak of the cosine function is at [itex] \omega t - \beta z +\phi = 0 [/itex]. Lets first assume [itex] \phi= 0[/itex] to simplify the problem. So if z is positive, then t has to be positive to get [itex] \omega t - \beta z = 0 [/itex]. In words, if you start at z=0, it takes [itex] \omega t = \beta z[/itex] for the wave at z=0 to reach z. So this is the retard time function.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thank you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook