1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarded time approximation

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    Hello again!
    Facing some problems (my exam is taking place tomorrow... help is needed. Many thanks in advance!)

I need to find an approximation for a retarded time. I don't understand how. This is what my lecturer wrote:

[itex]sin(\varphi-\omega t)=exp(i\varphi'-i\omega(t-r/c)-i\omega(r'cos\theta cos\theta'+r'sin\theta sin\theta'cos(\varphi-\varphi'))/c [/itex]

Could you please explain how ?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    I think you copy incorrect. You are assuming harmonic wave in you case where it is a sinusoidal wave. Usually it is represented by cosine wave:

[tex] cos ( \beta z -\omega t -\phi) = cos ( \omega t -\beta z +\phi) = \Re e[e^{j\omega t}e^{-j\beta z}e^{j\phi}] [/tex]

The way you look at this is the peak of the cosine function is at [itex] \omega t - \beta z +\phi = 0 [/itex]. Lets first assume [itex] \phi= 0[/itex] to simplify the problem. So if z is positive, then t has to be positive to get [itex] \omega t - \beta z = 0 [/itex]. In words, if you start at z=0, it takes [itex] \omega t = \beta z[/itex] for the wave at z=0 to reach z. So this is the retard time function.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thank you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook