How Does a Half Wave-Plate Affect Polarization at Various Angles?

In summary, retarders are devices used to delay the phase of polarized light, allowing for manipulation of its polarization state. They can change the polarization angle and intensity of light and come in three main types: wave plates, birefringent plates, and polarizing prisms. Retarders and polarization have various applications in optics, scientific research, industrial settings, and photography and cinematography.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a linearly polarized optical field traveling along z given by
[tex]
E(z, t) = E(\cos(kz-\omega t)\hat x + \cos(kz-\omega t)\hat y)
[/tex]
In other words, it lies in the 1st and 3rd quadrant. Now the wave passes through a half wave-plate at an angle of 45 degrees (the wave-plate is along y pointing upwards), so the wave becomes
[tex]
E(z, t) = E(\cos(kz-\omega t)\hat x - \cos(kz-\omega t)\hat y)
[/tex]
In other words, it now lies in the 2nd and 4th quadrant. Now I let is pass through a second half wave-plate as shown in the attachment (the red line is the fast axis of the retarder, and the black line is the optical field). Say the angle between the fast axis of the retarder and the polarization of the field is some Ω.

Now I know that after passing through the retarder, the polarization attains an angle of 2Ω besides the 45 degrees from the y-axis. There is two obvious ways for me to represent this:

1) I can do it in terms of a new coordinate system spanned by the axes parallel and perpendicular to the fast axis of the retarder.
2) Use the same "old" coordinate system as with the first retarder

Say I go with #2. What is the easiest way to do this? The only way I see how to do it is to do #1 first, but it seems quite tedious.Niles.

Attachments

• untitled1.PNG
    untitled1.PNG
    881 bytes · Views: 463
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Hi Niles,

Thank you for sharing your question and the interesting scenario you have presented. I would like to offer some insights on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of a half wave-plate and its effect on polarized light. A half wave-plate is an optical device that introduces a phase difference of half a wavelength between the two perpendicular components of a polarized light. This effectively rotates the polarization of the light by 90 degrees.

In your scenario, the initial polarized light is traveling along the z-direction, with components in the x and y directions. When it passes through the first half wave-plate at a 45-degree angle, the x-component is unchanged while the y-component is rotated by 90 degrees, resulting in a polarization along the x-axis. This is represented by your second equation, where the y-component has a negative sign.

Now, when this polarized light passes through the second half wave-plate at an angle Ω, it effectively introduces an additional phase difference of 2Ω between the x and y components. This results in a rotation of the polarization by an angle of 2Ω, as you have mentioned.

To represent this in terms of the "old" coordinate system, you can use the Jones matrix formalism. This involves representing the optical field as a 2x1 column vector, with the x and y components as the elements. The half wave-plate can be represented by a 2x2 matrix, with the elements representing the phase difference introduced by the device.

In your case, the first half wave-plate can be represented by a matrix [1 0; 0 -1], and the second half wave-plate can be represented by a matrix [cos(2Ω) sin(2Ω); -sin(2Ω) cos(2Ω)]. To obtain the final polarization in the "old" coordinate system, you can simply multiply the two matrices to get the resultant matrix, and then convert it back to the 2x1 column vector representing the x and y components of the polarization.

I hope this helps you in finding the easiest way to represent the final polarization in the "old" coordinate system. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of a retarder in polarized light?

A retarder is a device that delays the phase of polarized light, meaning it slows down one component of the light wave compared to the other. This can help to manipulate the polarization state of light, allowing for various applications such as reducing glare or enhancing contrast.

2. How do retarders affect the polarization angle of light?

Retarders can change the polarization angle of light by introducing a phase difference between the two components of the light wave. This can result in a rotation of the polarization angle, depending on the type and orientation of the retarder.

3. What are the different types of retarders?

There are three main types of retarders: wave plates, birefringent plates, and polarizing prisms. Wave plates are made of a single material with a specific thickness and orientation, while birefringent plates are made of two materials with different refractive indices. Polarizing prisms use the principle of total internal reflection to delay the phase of light.

4. How do retarders affect the intensity of polarized light?

Retarders can affect the intensity of polarized light by changing the polarization state, which can result in either increased or decreased intensity depending on the orientation and type of retarder. For example, a wave plate can increase the intensity of light if it is oriented at a specific angle, while a polarizing prism can decrease the intensity by blocking certain polarizations.

5. What are some common applications of retarders and polarization?

Retarders and polarization have various applications in optics, such as reducing glare in sunglasses, enhancing the contrast in LCD screens, and creating 3D images. They are also used in scientific research to study the properties of light and in industrial settings for precision measurement and control of light. Additionally, polarized light is used in photography and cinematography to achieve unique lighting effects.