Retarding Force and Velocity of a Sliding Rock

• Thread starter carlee172
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a rock with mass m and initial velocity vo slides on a horizontal surface with a retarding force FR that is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the rock. Using the equations F=ma and v=vo +at, it is possible to find the expression for the velocity of the rock as a function of time by substituting FR=-kv1/2 into F=ma and solving for v. However, to solve for the integral of distance, some calculus is needed.
carlee172

Homework Statement

A rock with mass m slides with initial velocity vo on a horizontal surface. A retarding force FR that the surface exerts on the rock is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the rock FR=-kv1/2.
A) Find expression for the velocity of the rock as a function of time.
Express your answer in terms of the variables m, vo, k, and t.

Homework Equations

F=ma

v=vo +at

etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

vbasically included solving and substituting F=ma, FR=-kv1/2 and v=vo +at
in the end i got v=vo -kv1/2t/m

obviouslt this isn't right because i have v on both sides of the equation.. help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

v=vo +at doesn't work here, because you need a constant acceleration for that equation.

F=ma is a good start. You'll also need to use some calculus to solve this one.

ok, so:

-k[tex]\sqrt{}v[/tex]=m(dv/dt)
then integrate the first side from 0 to t and the left side from vo to v
and then solve for v, i got:
v=((-kt-2(v1/2)m)/2m)2

ok so i got the answer v=(4m2v0-4ktmv1/2+k2t2)/4m2
now, i have to find the integral (distance). for t, the rest are constants i guess

One problem with that expression is that it's supposed to be an expression for v in terms of t and the other variables, i.e. given t, m, k, and v0, you should be able to calculate v.

But you have v there on the right-hand-side, so it's not really an equation for v.

carlee172 said:
ok, so:

-k[tex]\sqrt{}v[/tex]=m(dv/dt)

Let's go back to this equation. I didn't really follow what you did after that, but I would separate the two variables, v and t, before integrating. I.e., put all the v's (including the dv term) on one side of the equation, and put dt on the other side. Then integrate.

What is a retarding force?

A retarding force is any force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing the object to slow down or come to a stop.

What are some examples of retarding forces?

Some examples of retarding forces include friction, air resistance, and drag. These forces can act on objects moving through air or water, as well as on objects sliding or rolling on surfaces.

How is the magnitude of a retarding force determined?

The magnitude of a retarding force is determined by factors such as the object's velocity, surface area, and the properties of the medium it is moving through. In some cases, the force may also depend on the object's shape and orientation.

How do you calculate the velocity of an object with a known retarding force?

To calculate the velocity of an object with a known retarding force, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Rearranging this formula to solve for v, we get v = u - at.

Can a retarding force ever be positive?

No, a retarding force is always negative because it acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This means that it always opposes the object's motion and causes it to slow down.