Can a Retired Geezer Master Physics and Mathematics Through Self-Learning?

• Thread starter hmwoodring
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for a retired individual to master physics and mathematics through self-learning by dedicating themselves to studying and utilizing resources such as textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is never too late to start learning, and a background in science or math is not necessary. The time it takes to master these subjects varies for each person, but with consistency and practice, progress can be made in a few months or years. There are many benefits to learning physics and mathematics as a retired person, including keeping the mind active, improving problem-solving skills, and opening up new opportunities.
hmwoodring
Confirmed autodidact. Physics and Mathematics are next on my list. I will likely be lurking and learning for awhile as I munch my way through new introductory materials and resources.

Greetings from the left coast USA... Harlan

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

@Astronuc I think you have a contender for the Best Bushy Beard prize!

Likes cnh1995
@Drakkith. Thank you for the welcome. I was hoping there would be fellow beardos on PF. You do realize that we grow out our beards and automatically know stuff !? (LIfted from someone else, I forget who) ... Harlan

hmwoodring said:
@Drakkith. I was hoping there would be fellow beardos on PF. You do realize that we grow out our beards and automatically know stuff !?

Of course. I've got my own beard for that exact purpose! :biggrin:

Hey @phinds, I think I found out your problem! Grow that beard out!

Nah. Tried it. Soaks up my slobber like you wouldn't believe.

Likes Drakkith
@phinds. Know what you mean. Had to eliminate the 'stache awhile ago 'cause it was storing up so much food (my wife would be giving me her 'you are an icky beast' look about now) I found myself snacking excessively between meals... Harlan

Likes Drakkith

1. Can someone really master physics and mathematics through self-learning?

Yes, it is definitely possible for a retired geezer to master physics and mathematics through self-learning. With dedication, hard work, and access to resources such as textbooks, online courses, and educational videos, anyone can learn these subjects at their own pace.

2. Is it too late to start learning physics and mathematics as a retired person?

No, it is never too late to start learning. In fact, many retired individuals have more time and motivation to pursue their interests and hobbies, such as physics and mathematics. With self-learning, you can tailor your study schedule to fit your lifestyle and pace.

3. Do I need a background in science or math to learn physics and mathematics as a retired person?

While a background in science or math may be helpful, it is not a requirement to learn physics and mathematics through self-learning. With determination and the right resources, anyone can start from the basics and gradually build their knowledge and skills in these subjects.

4. How long does it take to master physics and mathematics through self-learning?

The time it takes to master physics and mathematics through self-learning varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your prior knowledge, dedication, and the complexity of the topics you are learning. With consistent effort and practice, you can make significant progress in a few months or years.

5. Are there any benefits to learning physics and mathematics as a retired person?

Yes, there are many benefits to learning physics and mathematics as a retired person. It can keep your mind active and sharp, improve problem-solving skills, and provide a sense of accomplishment. It can also open up new opportunities for hobbies, volunteer work, or even a career change.