Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retirement from PF Photo Contest

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As most of you know, I started the PF Photo Contest in May of 2006. I think it has become quite a fun activity here in the GD forum. However, it is time for me to "retire" from running the contest and let someone else takes over. This will be effective on Nov. 1st, 2008. I will still be running the poll for this week's photo contest.

If you are so inclined to take over the weekly contest, please contact me as soon as possible. If I have more than one volunteer, I will consult Evo on who would be best to run it.

Thanks for all your support and participation since the very beginning. It was a lot of fun (most of the time) running the contest.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The contests are so much fun!! Having taken over for you once, I now realize how time consumming it is.

If someone is willing to run the contests, I would be willing to help if there was editing needed.

Thanks zz for all of the great contests!

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    Sorry to see it go, it was fun to see all the interpretations. I barely have enough time to even write a couple posts in a day.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4
    Thank, Zz for the work done and the creative amusing subjects, and I'm happy to take over.

6. Oct 25, 2008 #5
    I really enjoyed seeing everyones photos. Thanks for all your time and effort, well done.

7. Oct 25, 2008 #6
    Told you if we didn't let him win more often he wouldn't keep doing it.

8. Oct 25, 2008 #7

Borek

And it was fun to take part, thanks for the opportunity.

9. Oct 25, 2008 #8

Borek

Will you ever need any help - feel free to ask.

10. Oct 25, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks for the fun ZZ. Does one need some access to PF administrative tools to run the photo contests?

11. Oct 25, 2008 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No. Evo and other Mentors will assist if there ever is any need to take such actions.

Zz.

12. Oct 25, 2008 #11
    Thank you, Zz, for all the effort you put into the contest. :smile:

Off-topic: It's funny to see the phrase workdone linked to the PF library. :biggrin:

13. Oct 25, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

In that case, I will volunteer as well. Or, if Andre wants to do it and is busy at times, I would sub for him. Any way is OK.

BTW, how do you keep track of which pictures have been previously used and when? It would seem that might be time-consuming.

14. Oct 25, 2008 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One qualification for the "job" is that one needs to have a very, very good visual memory.

Zz.

15. Oct 25, 2008 #14

Borek

Getting crowdy :smile:

16. Oct 25, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for all the hard work keeping those going this long, Zz! And good luck to your successor. :biggrin:

17. Oct 25, 2008 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Zz! :smile:

18. Oct 25, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

That might make me a poor choice, since I can't even remember my own images. I post images on other sites, as well, and don't keep records on them. If someone else wants to run the contests, I'd be happy to come up with contest themes. I tend to like the ones with some ambiguity just to see how everyone else interprets them.

19. Oct 25, 2008 #18

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Thanks for keeping these going for so long ZZ. They've been good fun :smile:

20. Oct 25, 2008 #19
    Thanks for the contest ZZ. My family and I certainly have enjoyed the photos. It is fun for sure. Once again thanks!

21. Oct 25, 2008 #20
    Thanks for the inspiration ZZ! It has been fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?