1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retractable tailgate

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    Why don't pickup trucks come with a tailgate designed to retract (manually) before highway driving when practicable? It seems self defeating to have such inefficient drag as from an upright tailgate. I believe that by this retraction the truck's highway consumption would increase by at least 1/2 MPG.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not sure about the efficiency of that. Someone (I think that it was Mythbusters) did some tests that showed not a lot of difference in drag with the tailgate up or down. That's all that I have for now, since my memory is failing.

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    yes, they showed that tail gate up maintains a nice separation bubble behind the tail gate(towards the truck), and act as a boundary for incoming stream, hence reducing pressure drag

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook