Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retro Candy

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    A work mate when on a long lunch and brought back candy from yesteryear. Cool, dude!

I got Pop Rocks and Fizzies and Bottle Caps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Malt Balls, a staple of my childhood :smile:.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I loved Fizzies!! You can still get the chocolate malt balls, I love them. Can you get malted milkshakes anymore? Ice cream shops used to be called "malt shops".

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    There are a couple of places near here where you can still get a malted. But where can you get skybars or chuckles?

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5
    Candy Necklaces, Blow Pops, Fun Dip were my favs as a kid.

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

Evo

8. Jun 15, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Sweet-Tarts were a favorite, as were Mint Julep and Banana Split chews. Once in a while, I'd buy a Hershey's Lunch Bar, because the deposit on soda bottles was 3 cents and that's what the chocolate bar cost. I knew the local grocer very well, and he'd let me buy a soda and a Lunch Bar for 10 cents because I would always return the bottle and put it in the rack. 7 cents for a Coke and 3 cents for a Lunch Bar made for a cheap sugar-high.

9. Jun 15, 2011 #8

Borek

It will be completely off topic... Is this a correct English phrase? I can guess what you mean, but I miss predicate in the first part (work mate being a subject).

I already checked that yesteryear doesn't have to mean last year as I thought.

I am not a grammar police, it is that my English fails me. Sometimes I am sure there is a typo, or a word missing, but sometimes I have no idea what is going on. And many times I was told phrases that looked strange to me were perfectly OK.

10. Jun 15, 2011 #9

Evo

Aha, Phrak typed "when" and it should be "went". Should I ban him? :biggrin:

11. Jun 15, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did he use a time machine while on his lunch break?

12. Jun 15, 2011 #11

rhody

Gold Member

Zap... the OP is history... (Evo blows smoke off the Ban gun) The retro candy I remember the most was red string licorice, 1/2 a penny each, candy cigarettes, malted milk balls, (Evo calls them: chocolate malt balls), good and plenty candy, fifty cents would go a long way back then.

Rhody... o:)

13. Jun 15, 2011 #12

Borek

Ah, obvious now.

Your call, shouldn't be that difficult :wink:

14. Jun 15, 2011 #13

IMP

[PLAIN]http://www.oldtimeconfection.com/Gum/Nostalgia%20gum%20prepack.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  15. Jun 18, 2011 #14
    That won't be necessary. Simply add three brownie points to my score and banning will be a simple matter of applying administrative controls.

16. Jun 18, 2011 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Wasn't that a Dr. Suess book?

17. Jun 18, 2011 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Banned in the US, of course.

18. Jun 18, 2011 #17
    Anyone remember these?

[PLAIN]http://www.megalink.net/~dale/candycig1.jpg [Broken]

Our ice-cream man used to stock them, but I would be willing to bet that selling these to children is a big no-no now.

19. Jun 18, 2011 #18

Evo

I used to buy a pack of cigs, maybe a cigar or 2, some big lips and fake fingernails, then ride my bike to the park and swing.

My favorites were the chocolate cigarettes.

Ooh, this place has an even better selection, it has Jimmy's Sky bar!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/candylist.htm [Broken]

OMG, I can still taste the syrup in these. Poke a hole in the top with a toothpick and bottoms up!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/nik-l-nip-sticks.htm [Broken]

20. Jun 18, 2011 #19
    Care with the Pop Rocks and soda. That's how Mikey exploded, remember?

21. Jun 18, 2011 #20

Borek

I remember chewing gum packed as cigarettes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook