Need help with retro synthetic analysis?

• Thread starter suf7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with retro synthetic analysis in organic chemistry. Another person offers their knowledge and suggests using a website for further explanation. They also recommend a textbook for learning the logic of retrosynthetic analysis. The person seeking help is a final year student and asks for assistance with specific problems. The other person agrees to help but will not give exact answers, only guide the student to think about the problems.
suf7
can any1 help me?...does anybody know how to do retro synthetic analysis?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, I have some knowledge about it. Retrosynthetic analysis is done by going from the final product to smaller and cheaper starting materials. Synthons, functional group interconversions and cleavages play a crucial role.

You may want to view http://www.cmbi.ru.nl/cheminf/ira/strat.shtml for a good explanation.

Tell me an example, and I'll try to solve it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's common sense. I would suggest that you first attempt complex synthetic problems themselves, perhaps the retrosynthetic idea will make sense to you afterwards.

Last edited:
Of course, suf7, please try these first in light of the information I gave you, and if you're stuck, call for help. GCT, thanks to you about reminding this.

Are you in first semester organic? We just covered this.

A great text on learning the logic of retrosynthetic analysis is Designing Organic Synthesis by Stuart Warren (Wiley, 1978). It's set up like a workbook and helps you to learn and understand retrosynthetic disconnections.

Here is a link:

Last edited by a moderator:
i am a final year student and am having problems in getting to grips with some problems that i have been set for an assignment, and was wondering if anyone culd help me with them?

Organic chemistry is my weakness, hence the plea for help?

would anyone be willing to have a look at the problems and possibly help me?

any help would be much appreciated!

Send the questions, and we'll discuss them. I won't give the exact answers, but rather make you think about them.

i'll post them up asap! - thanks again

1. What is Retro Synthetic Analysis?

Retro Synthetic Analysis is a problem-solving technique commonly used in organic chemistry. It involves breaking down a complex molecule into simpler fragments and determining the possible reactions that could have produced those fragments.

2. How is Retro Synthetic Analysis used in research?

Retro Synthetic Analysis is an important tool in the design and synthesis of new compounds. It allows researchers to plan and predict the most efficient and effective routes for synthesizing complex molecules.

3. What are the benefits of using Retro Synthetic Analysis?

Retro Synthetic Analysis helps chemists save time and resources by providing a roadmap for synthesizing target molecules. It also allows for the discovery of new, more efficient synthetic routes.

4. What skills are required for Retro Synthetic Analysis?

Chemists who use Retro Synthetic Analysis should have a strong understanding of organic chemistry, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively to identify potential synthetic routes. Experience with various laboratory techniques and equipment is also important.

5. Are there any limitations to Retro Synthetic Analysis?

Retro Synthetic Analysis is limited by the knowledge and experience of the chemist performing the analysis. It also relies on accurate information about reaction mechanisms and the availability of necessary reagents. Additionally, unexpected side reactions can occur, making it necessary to adjust the planned synthetic route.