How do I calculate the time for P to return to its starting point?

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving with simple harmonic motion while attached to an elastic string. The time period for one cycle of oscillation can be calculated, but the time taken for the string to slacken must also be taken into consideration. The motion of the particle can be divided into three parts: SHM from (2.6,0) to (1.6,0), uniform motion from (1.6,0) to (-1.6,0), and SHM from (-1.6,0) to (2.6,0). The time taken for each part can be calculated to determine the total time for one cycle.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi

I am struggling with the second part of this problem. It reads this way:

A particle P of mass 0.8kg is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length 1.6m and modulus of elasticity 20N. The other end of the string is fixed to a point O on the smooth horizontal surface on which P rests. The particle is held at rest with OP = 2.6m and then released.

a)Show that the, while the string is taut, P moves with simple harmonic motion.

b)Calculate the time from the instant of release until P returns to its starting point for the first time?

How do I start the b part? Please help!

Homework Equations

Hookes Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you were able to do the first bit, then you showed that the equation of motion of P is of the form

[tex] m \ddot{x} = -\omega^2 x [/tex]

The time taken for the particle to come back to its starting point after one cycle is nothing but the time period of this oscillation.

praharmitra said:
Well, if you were able to do the first bit, then you showed that the equation of motion of P is of the form

[tex] m \ddot{x} = -\omega^2 x [/tex]

The time taken for the particle to come back to its starting point after one cycle is nothing but the time period of this oscillation.
Hmm! Will I not need to take into consideration the time it took the string to slacken?

Ah! good point, I missed that completely. Sorry.

Yes, you have to take that into consideration. I'll describe the motion to you, and the further calculation should be easy.

Lets put the origin of our coordinate system at O and the motion is along the x-axis.

The particle starts out at P (2.6,0). Till (1.6,0) the motion is simple harmonic (how much time does that take?). The particle then moves from (1.6,0) to (-1.6,0) with uniform velocity (how much?). Again it undergoes SHM from (-1.6,0) to (-2.6,0) and back to (-1.6,0). Yet again, it moves uniformly from (-1.6,0) to (1.6,0). And again undergoes SHM from (1.6,0) to (2.6,0). And its back after one round!

Can you now calculate the time?

praharmitra said:
Ah! good point, I missed that completely. Sorry.

Yes, you have to take that into consideration. I'll describe the motion to you, and the further calculation should be easy.

Lets put the origin of our coordinate system at O and the motion is along the x-axis.

The particle starts out at P (2.6,0). Till (1.6,0) the motion is simple harmonic (how much time does that take?). The particle then moves from (1.6,0) to (-1.6,0) with uniform velocity (how much?). Again it undergoes SHM from (-1.6,0) to (-2.6,0) and back to (-1.6,0). Yet again, it moves uniformly from (-1.6,0) to (1.6,0). And again undergoes SHM from (1.6,0) to (2.6,0). And its back after one round!

Can you now calculate the time?
Sorry for the delay of getting back to you. Its the scourge of the full time worker! I will give you a calculated response tonight. Thanks.

What is a "return time" for a string?

A "return time" for a string is the amount of time it takes for a string to return to its original state after being stretched or twisted.

How is the return time for a string determined?

The return time for a string is determined by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the amount of tension applied, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

Why is the return time for a string important?

The return time for a string is important because it affects the performance and playability of stringed instruments such as guitars and violins. A longer return time can result in a duller sound, while a shorter return time can result in a more vibrant and responsive sound.

Can the return time for a string be altered?

Yes, the return time for a string can be altered by adjusting the tension or changing the material or thickness of the string. It can also be affected by playing style and technique.

How can I measure the return time for a string?

The return time for a string can be measured using various methods, such as a strobe tuner or a frequency analyzer. These tools can measure the frequency of the string and determine its return time.