1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU Acceptance

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was just accepted to the Physics REU Program at the University of Pittsburgh.:cool: Will anyone else here be a part of this program?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    So you got in, congrats!

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    I told you not to worry.

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yeah i should have listened!

Anyway, its a load off of my mind. I can't even describe the relief of being able to make summer plans. Up until this point, I had no idea where I was going to be living! Wow, what a relief!

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    To those of you who have done REU programs in the past, what are they like? Is it like a 9-5 job or what? How much of your time should you expect to be working?

7. Apr 19, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, this one will be my first, but on their website, they expected 40-50 of work a week, so yes it would be a full time job, but if you like the job, then you probably wouldn't mind putting in even more time than this.

8. Apr 20, 2007 #7
    It really seems to depend on who you are working for. My adviser was pretty lenient...I could come in and leave when I liked (during the day), and so I was free to travel around that part of the country with my fellow REU students on the weekends once or twice if we asked for a Monday or Friday off. However, I was doing theoretical work, so I didn't have to compete for time on experimental equipment -- some of my fellow REUers had to go in at all hours of the night to get those elusive time slots. When I was writing up my results during the last week, I stayed until well past midnight a few times, but for most of the program I was able to leave in time to join my friends for dinner (there were at least 4 REU programs going on, and they had us all living together, so there were always people around).

Seems to depend on your adviser for the most part though.

Congratulations everyone!

9. Apr 22, 2007 #8
    Congratulations. I'm a junior math and physics students at Pitt and I really enjoy it. All of the physics professors I've had have been excellent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?