Exploring the Advanced Photon Source: A First-Timer's Experience

In summary, the person is being asked to help out with an experiment at the Advanced Photon Source. They are worried about what they can expect and what help they can provide.
Apost8
I have been asked to help out with an experiment at the Advanced Photon Source here in the US. As I understand it, there will be several experiments taking place several weeks apart from one another. I will be up there for only about 4-5 days each time. There is even a possibility (though I'm not holding my breath) that I may be able to get my name on a paper.

Needless-to-say, I'm really excited (and grateful) to have been given such an opportunity, but, given that I'm currently only taking freshman-level math/science courses, I'm a little worried. I guess my question is: how much help can I really be? What can I expect? Thanks in advance.:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, from my experience doing undergraduate research... expect to be completely and totally confused as to what is going on. However, don't get discouraged and keep working hard. The professors/scientists will notice the hard work and determination-- not to mention they don't expect you to understand absolutely everything.

Thanks Beeza, that makes me feel better. I guess that's what I figured; I sort of have one of those nightmare scenarios in my head where all the other undergrads seem to know what's going on and I'm the only clueless one. I'll just do the best I can and soak up as much experience as possible while I'm there.

I start an REU next tuesday and have some of the same concerns.

REU is meant as a learning experience most of all. You're not supposed to come in as an expert, so don't worry about that. As long as you have some use, you'll be fine ;)

How hard is it to get an REU if you have a really good GPA, but no research experience? I would think the point of an REU is to get that experience, but some of the programs I am applying for ask about your previous research experience so it got me wondering.

I am having some anxieties as well... the most worrying part for me is asking professors who barely know me to write me a recommendation letter (has anyone ever done that?)... I guess it doesn't hurt to ask them.. the worst they can do is refuse to write me one.

Well what would they be able to say about you? Do you not know them at all, or would they be able to say something good about you?

sirwebber said:
Well what would they be able to say about you? Do you not know them at all, or would they be able to say something good about you?

that's exactly my point... I know they don't have much to say about me..

but how else am I going to get a recommendation? it's either do or nothing... I have to get recommendations in order to get a shot for the REU. Anyway, my professor said that my grade turned out to the one of the top 3 of the class... so he might be willing to help me out...

Last edited:
tim_lou said:
that's exactly my point... I know they don't have much to say about me..

but how else am I going to get a recommendation? it's either do or nothing... I have to get recommendations in order to get a shot for the REU. Anyway, my professor said that my grade turned out to the one of the top 3 of the class... so he might be willing to help me out...

Is this a huge school, or a somewhat small school? If it's a somewhat small school, the professor will still probably write you a good letter even if he/she doesn't know you too well. It just might not be super personalized.

I just asked my other physics professor today... and he agreed! woho! I'm going to apply for at least 10 REUs and hopefully, I will get into at least one of them.

I am planning to get all the envelopes done and stamped and give them to my professor so that they don't have to go through the trouble of sending them to multiple institutes... Now I've got to do some more research and pick the Reus that I like. (previously I have crossed off the ones requiring two recommendations)

Best of luck to you on that research. Good luck guys. I've never done an REU but it sounds somewhat scary xD

What is the Advanced Photon Source (APS) and what is its purpose?

The Advanced Photon Source (APS) is a high-energy X-ray light source located at the Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois. Its purpose is to produce extremely bright and intense X-rays for use in a variety of scientific experiments and research studies.

How does the APS work?

The APS works by accelerating electrons to nearly the speed of light and then directing them through a series of magnets, called undulators, which cause the electrons to emit X-rays. These X-rays are then focused and channeled into experimental stations, where scientists can use them to study the structure and properties of various materials.

What types of research can be conducted at the APS?

The APS is used for a wide range of scientific research, including material science, chemistry, biology, geology, and environmental science. It is also used for industrial applications such as pharmaceutical development and advanced manufacturing techniques.

How can I visit and use the APS for my research?

To use the APS for research, you must first submit a proposal outlining your experiment and its scientific significance. If your proposal is accepted, you will be granted access to the facility and its resources. Visitors can also tour the APS and attend workshops and conferences to learn more about its capabilities and research opportunities.

What are some notable discoveries made using the APS?

The APS has played a crucial role in many groundbreaking discoveries, such as the development of new materials for solar panels, the structure of the Zika virus, and the behavior of supercooled water. It continues to be a vital tool for advancing scientific knowledge and innovation.