I recently got accepted to an REU, although not my first choice. The deadline to accept is March 17th. I emailed my first choice asking if they could get back to me before the 15th. This is probably me being paranoid, but say I accept on the 16th. But because I waited a while, they offered someone else a spot and they took it. Is this scenario even remotely likely?