1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU decision need help please!

  1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    Hi I applied to a lot of REU's for this summer and actually got accepted into one which I am so glad for. The problem is that I don't know if I should accept this one right away or wait to hear from some more and make a decision then. They are giving me 03/08/13 to make a final decision (which is definitely before the time I will hear back from other programs) and I want to respond as soon as possible. I think I should just accept this one because it's already such a great opportunity why wait for another one but I want to think it all through. What if I actually don't like the research in this one and would prefer another program? Does that even matter? I mean all of them have basically what I want to research anyway. I probably can't afford to be so picky now that I actually got into one.

    Is there any reason why I should not just take this offer right now? Your quick advice would be great!
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2
    Be appreciative of the certainty that they provided you for your summer plans and just accept. There are only 5 days left anyways. If you didnt want to go, why did you apply? :-) I realize that its a numbers game, but the question still holds. REU's are not that different from one another (are you talking physics?), albeit they are skewed towards each particular school's strength. Based on my personal experience, even a lesser known program can pleasantly surprise you with a well-organized, professional and high-class environment.
     
  4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    thanks. It's an ecology reu (which I know on a physics forums is like "inferior") but I think you're right I will just go ahead and take this. They all should be pretty much equal in quality I hope so it's not a bad decision.
     
  5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    You can email the other programs informing them of your situation. Sometimes programs will give you an advanced decision if you have other offers on the table. Since you have 5 days before you have to respond I would suggest doing this for anything you may be more interested in, just to see. But of course, any reu is pretty great.
     
  6. Mar 4, 2013 #5
    I already just said yes. I asked some other places and they said they'll have. A decision soon but I felt like I should just accept what's right in front of me.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook