1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU for graduating seniors?

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I will be graduating this spring with a bachelors in physics. I love research and I do have research experience and I have applied for graduate school in physics. Now I am just waiting around. However, I am trying to find work during the summer and I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs that accept graduating seniors for REU.

The deadlines passed for the programs I found :/... for ** Future students DOE SULI accept graduating seniors!**

I was also thinking of contacting a faculty member I want to work with around the area I live in so that they don't have to fund me. I truly just want to learn and get more experience, it's not really about the money. Do you think it is a good idea as well?

I applied for theory because my research background in physics is all in theoretical physics and I LOVE it. However, I am realizing that the chances of me getting into grad school is small for that. I was unsuccessful in getting an REU for experimental but I do want to try it and I wished I had sooner =(. So I am mainly looking for experimental research.

Any help or comment is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's almost impossible for a professor to take on a non-student for free. The university will usually step in, citing labor laws.

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the reply! What if I call it volunteering? However, I do see your point. I might email and ask around anyways though because it would be great to have more research experience. If I am unsuccessful in getting admitted to graduate school the first time, I can only improve my app with Gre/physics gre scores and research experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook