Exploring REU Opportunities for Graduating Seniors in Physics

• Thread starter bluechic92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, the speaker is a graduating senior with a bachelor's degree in physics who has applied for graduate school and is currently waiting for a response. They are also looking for summer work and are interested in finding a program that accepts graduating seniors, such as the DOE SULI program. They are also considering reaching out to a faculty member to do research in their area and are open to volunteering in order to gain more experience. They have a preference for theoretical physics but are open to experimental research as well. They are seeking advice and suggestions on how to improve their chances of getting into graduate school, including improving their GRE scores and gaining more research experience.
bluechic92
Hi everyone,
I will be graduating this spring with a bachelors in physics. I love research and I do have research experience and I have applied for graduate school in physics. Now I am just waiting around. However, I am trying to find work during the summer and I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs that accept graduating seniors for REU.

The deadlines passed for the programs I found :/... for ** Future students DOE SULI accept graduating seniors!**

I was also thinking of contacting a faculty member I want to work with around the area I live in so that they don't have to fund me. I truly just want to learn and get more experience, it's not really about the money. Do you think it is a good idea as well?

I applied for theory because my research background in physics is all in theoretical physics and I LOVE it. However, I am realizing that the chances of me getting into grad school is small for that. I was unsuccessful in getting an REU for experimental but I do want to try it and I wished I had sooner =(. So I am mainly looking for experimental research.

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's almost impossible for a professor to take on a non-student for free. The university will usually step in, citing labor laws.

Thank you for the reply! What if I call it volunteering? However, I do see your point. I might email and ask around anyways though because it would be great to have more research experience. If I am unsuccessful in getting admitted to graduate school the first time, I can only improve my app with Gre/physics gre scores and research experience.

1. What is an REU program for graduating seniors?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive research opportunity for graduating seniors in a specific field of study. It is typically funded by the National Science Foundation and provides students with hands-on research experience, mentorship from faculty and graduate students, and the opportunity to present their findings at conferences.

2. How do I apply for an REU program for graduating seniors?

To apply for an REU program, you will need to find a program that aligns with your research interests and meets your eligibility requirements. Most programs have an online application process that will require you to submit your academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Make sure to carefully review the application requirements and submit all materials before the deadline.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program for graduating seniors?

Participating in an REU program can provide numerous benefits, such as gaining hands-on research experience, developing valuable skills, building professional connections, and enhancing your resume for future job or graduate school applications. It can also provide a unique opportunity to explore a specific research area and determine if it is a good fit for your future career goals.

4. Can I receive compensation for participating in an REU program for graduating seniors?

Yes, most REU programs provide a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. Some programs also cover travel expenses and provide housing for participants. The amount of compensation can vary depending on the program and location, but it is typically enough to cover basic living expenses.

5. Are there any specific eligibility requirements for participating in an REU program for graduating seniors?

Yes, each REU program will have its own eligibility requirements, but in general, you must be a graduating senior (or recent graduate) with a strong academic record in a related field of study. Some programs may also have specific requirements such as U.S. citizenship or permanent residency, so it is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria before applying.