Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU for international

  1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    I am a freshman physics major at a top university in India. I was considering (as a really long shot) applying to REU programs in the US or Europe. What places should I consider? Obviously, places like Caltech SURF come to mind, but do I have a better chance at a less glamorous program?

    Some background: I have previously worked on a vacation program at a radio telescope facility and I have done a reading project at a major research institute in India. Along with my regular physics courses, I am also taking some math, (Measure Theory last semester and Topology this semester). I am expecting my grades to be decent.

    (I get this fellowship from our government which makes it relatively easy for me to get summer internships in Indian institutes.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2
    Errr, I would apply at an Indian university. REUs are generally for US citizens or resident aliens, or at the very least you have to go to a university in the US. From the http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/" [Broken]:

    If you're talking about an REU-esque program, then you may have a shot but I don't know of any U.S. government sponsored program that is open for foreign students. :( You might try contacting the universities you're interested in directly, but I don't know about the chances. If you have something that allows you to do research at Indian institutes, why not check out some top schools there? It would be a lot easier to get a spot.

    Regardless of what you decide, good luck!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook