1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU information needed?

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I am planning to apply for some REU during the summer of 2009, but since i am an international student, i am facing difficulties finding a programm that accepts international students, and most importantly that offers financial aid to international students, since i cannot afford it from my own pocket.

So, i was wondering if someone of you out there knows a program that accepts international students?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Hi again!

I found that there is actually a program that accepts international students, and that actually pays them, so they can cover housing, meal expences etc.

THis is SURF( Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) at CALTECH.

But, my question now is that, what would my chances for getting accepted in such a program be. Since Caltech is a top university, is it about the same difficulty to get in such a summer program as it would be to get in Caltech as an undergraduate?

My background so far is:

1. I have no past research experience
    2. The courses that i will have taken( that would be by the end of my 3rd semester) by the beggining of the summer research program are:
    Elementary Functions;Elementary Statistics 1; Calculus 1, 2,3; Elementary Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations; and i am also planning to do an independent study the upcoming semester but only if that would be critical for being accepted in any of REU's.
    SO far i have a GPA of 4.0 and i expect to have a gpa on a range 3.85-4.0 by that time also.

I also think that i can study on my own almost anything in math, as long as i have the necessary background for that, no matter the level of difficulty.

So, do i have any chances? I am not keeping my expectatons high, indeed i am keeping them very low, so i just wanted som more input from you, to get a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks a lot!
  5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    what school do you go to?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?