1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU letters of recommendation

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    I am trying to apply to chemical engineering REU's for the summer, and I have one physics professor that said he would write a letter for me, but none of my chemistry professors have responded to my e-mails asking if they would write one. Is math a close enough field to get a letter of recommendation from a math teacher? As long as its something STEM? I go to a community college so there are no engineering classes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2
    Can you not ask them in person? That is much preferred and a more respectful way to do it. Imagine if somebody wanted you to take time out of your busy day to help them with no direct benefit to yourself. Wouldn't you want to be asked in person rather than just emailed the request?

Also its much harder to say no to a student asking you in person than it is to just ignore an email.

Otherwise, I think any STEM area teacher or professor would be good. Math would be fine, as would anybody else that you have had a relevant kind of relationship with and would recommend you. Particularly since you are still at community college and dont have a large pool of potential recommenders to choose from.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    Well because I am on winter break right now and I want to send out these applications before school starts so I can focus on studying instead of REU applications while I am on break for 3 more weeks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook