REU meet-ups; Post where you are going and meet your peers

• Thread starter mobilehobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary: I'm in the same division as you, though I'm at Idaho State (which is in the northwest, not California).
mobilehobo
REU/summer program meet-ups; Post where you are going and meet your peers!

I just wanted to make a place where all of us lucky devils who've been accepted to REU's (any subject) can post where we are going and possibly meet some other students going to the same program. I also wanted to make this for ALL REU's or summer programs so we can meet students in different programs but will still be at the same uni.
I'll start:

I will be attending Penn State physics/materials program. I go to school in Kansas currently. Projects have not been determined, but I'm hoping to work in AMO physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly an REU, but I received a DOE internship at Argonne. Anyone else going there?

My first post!

I'll be going to Penn State electrical engineering program. I've seen that most of people that post here are physics/math reu's. any engineers?

charlesjeon said:
My first post!

I'll be going to Penn State electrical engineering program. I've seen that most of people that post here are physics/math reu's. any engineers?
Congrats! I've actually heard great things about the electrical engineering program there. The program I am doing is also engineering. It's "materials" so everything from engineering to chem to math... Do you know where you'll be living yet?

I got into Wisconsin stout, for a project on invariants of complex hypersurfaces. I'm thrilled about the project, but not too excited about leaving Miami for Wisconsin lol. Anyone else got into Stout?

camilus said:
not too excited about leaving Miami for Wisconsin lol.

Look at the bright side... they wear hunks of rubber-foam cheese on their heads at football games, so they must have a sense of humor. :smile:

mobilehobo said:
Congrats! I've actually heard great things about the electrical engineering program there. The program I am doing is also engineering. It's "materials" so everything from engineering to chem to math... Do you know where you'll be living yet?

Thanks! I'm not sure where I'll be living.. Haven't received official packet yet. On the other hand, the official website says that students will live in "The Nittany Apartments" owned by the University. Is that where you will be living for the program as well? oh BTW I'm from Philly.

charlesjeon said:
Thanks! I'm not sure where I'll be living.. Haven't received official packet yet. On the other hand, the official website says that students will live in "The Nittany Apartments" owned by the University. Is that where you will be living for the program as well? oh BTW I'm from Philly.

Most likely we'll be staying in those as well. It's not official yet but they said they expect to "provide housing in the form of 4 bedroom apartments with 4 students per apartment" which means Nittany from what I've seen. I've heard they're pretty nice. I'm really excited about State College. I go to a small teaching university NOT in a college town.

Got into the Indiana REU program for physics, doing work on SUSY QM. Should be interesting and it seems like Indiana has multiple reu programs which will be cool.

I'm going to Idaho State for nuclear physics.

LBloom said:
Got into the Indiana REU program for physics, doing work on SUSY QM. Should be interesting and it seems like Indiana has multiple reu programs which will be cool.

Yeah, it looks like quite a few universities house all their REU's in the same building. It's probably kind of nice so you have more than 12 people you can talk to.

Not an REU but I'm going to the PCMI summer school on geometric group theory

SLAC! Who is going to be in California?

I will be attending the math REU at LSU. I'm looking forward to meeting any others who are going. Also, I did the UNC-Asheville REU last summer, so I could answer questions that any of this year's participants might have.

Last edited:
JaqAl said:
Not exactly an REU, but I received a DOE internship at Argonne. Anyone else going there?

Hum... which one? SULI? And in which area?

Zz.

I'll be at LSU for the CCT REU.

ZapperZ said:
Hum... which one? SULI? And in which area?

Zz.

It is through CCI, sir (essentially SULI, but open to community college students). I chose a project in the physics division (based on what I read of the project, I believe it falls under accelerator physics).

ByronT said:
I'll be at LSU for the CCT REU.

I don't know how much crossover the different REUs have at LSU, but I imagine we'll all at least be staying in the same apartments on campus.

See you there!

JaqAl said:
It is through CCI, sir (essentially SULI, but open to community college students). I chose a project in the physics division (based on what I read of the project, I believe it falls under accelerator physics).

The "Physics Division" is more accurately known as the "Nuclear Physics Division", since that is the main thrust that it focuses on, especially with the ATLAS facility on site (not to be confused with the ATLAS detector at the LHC).

Note that if you are interested in accelerator physics, there is also the Lee Teng internship program jointly run by Fermilab/Argonne.

Zz.

mobilehobo said:
I will be attending Penn State physics/materials program. I go to school in Kansas currently. Projects have not been determined, but I'm hoping to work in AMO physics.

I'm actually going to Kansas (State University) for my REU.
I'm currently studying abroad in London, and I've met several Penn State kids. They all love it there.

Projects not determined yet, but I want to do something w/ nuclear/accelerator physics, so I hope that there will be a project relatable to that.

d3nat said:
I'm actually going to Kansas (State University) for my REU.
I'm currently studying abroad in London, and I've met several Penn State kids. They all love it there.

Projects not determined yet, but I want to do something w/ nuclear/accelerator physics, so I hope that there will be a project relatable to that.
I've been in Kansas all my life and even though it sounds weird, I really like it. Manhattan (KS that is) is fun college town and is a little more liberal then the rest of Kansas. Let me know if you have any Kansas questions!

I'll be at Notre Dame working in nuclear physics. I do have a friend that got into Indiana's program (med phys).

KSU REU in physics

mobilehobo said:
I've been in Kansas all my life and even though it sounds weird, I really like it. Manhattan (KS that is) is fun college town and is a little more liberal then the rest of Kansas. Let me know if you have any Kansas questions!

Cool :) I'm interested to see how Manhattan is going to be. After living in London for 5-6 months, I'm a bit worried I'm going to miss the city life. Not that that has anything to do with my REU, but still. It's on my mind haha.

Herricane said:
KSU REU in physics

See you there! Though I arrive a week late :/

1. What is an REU meet-up?

An REU meet-up is a gathering of undergraduate students participating in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. These programs provide students with the opportunity to engage in hands-on research projects, often at universities or research institutions.

2. Why are REU meet-ups beneficial?

REU meet-ups allow students to connect with their peers who have similar interests and are also participating in research projects. This provides a support network and fosters collaboration and knowledge-sharing among students. Additionally, REU meet-ups often include networking opportunities with professionals and graduate students in the field.

3. How do I find out about REU meet-ups?

Information about REU meet-ups can typically be found on the program's website, social media pages, or through communication with program coordinators. Students may also receive information about meet-ups from their mentors or other program participants.

4. What should I expect at an REU meet-up?

REU meet-ups often include presentations from students about their research projects, workshops or seminars on various topics, and social activities to help students get to know each other. Students may also have the opportunity to present their research at conferences or events outside of the meet-up.

5. Is it important to attend REU meet-ups?

While attending REU meet-ups is not required, it is highly beneficial for students. Not only does it provide opportunities for networking and collaboration, but it also allows students to gain valuable presentation and communication skills, and to learn from their peers' research experiences. Additionally, attending meet-ups can help students make the most of their research experience and potentially lead to future opportunities.