Which Grad Program to Choose: Penn State or Penn?

• Thread starter Goalie33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, Penn State has a better materials science program than Penn, and offers a greater financial package.
Goalie33
Which would you take?

Penn State:
-Grad program in Mat. Sci. Ranked 7
-$4,800 stipend
-$500 travel
-free housing
-In the middle of no where

Penn:
-Grad program ranked 16
-$4,000 stipend
-Working under department chair (future letter of rec?)
-No travel stipend
-No housing stipend
-In the middle of Philly

If you could give me your input I would really appreciate it. I can't decide, the only thing that's stopping me from choosing Penn State is the possible letter of rec from a department head. How much weight would that carry in grad school apps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would choose Penn State.
State College, PA is a wonderful place to spend a summer (I would know), it has an excellent materials science program (apparently is a better than U Penn., according to the ranking), and they are giving you a much greater financial package.

I do not think the department chair title will be as important as you think it will be when it comes to grad school applications. Letter's of recommendation are a very important factor in grad school applications, but the best letters are from professors who know you and what you are capable of well, not necessarily from people with big names or titles (but I guess those things never hurt). Whoever you work for, just work very diligently, creatively, intelligently, …, and exhibit good qualities that they can write about you in letters of recommendation in the future.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You spent time at the Penn State main campus? What was your experience like? My program is through the materials science and physics departments, did you spend time in either?
Thanks

which programs are you considering going to graduate school for? consider the REU as a pre-graduate school visit. both so you know what the school/program is like and so they know you personally.

btw- it seems like you're going to lose money on the penn program. 4000 for housing and food over summer?

Go with Penn State. The financial situation pretty much seals the deal. Plus, Penn State is just as good as Penn in that field. The letter of recommendation from a department head shouldn't necessarily be of more value than one from another professor who can write a good letter on your behalf.

Goalie33 said:
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You spent time at the Penn State main campus? What was your experience like? My program is through the materials science and physics departments, did you spend time in either?
Thanks

Yes, I spent a summer working / researching at Penn State in the Physics department. I had every intension of staying there much longer but some unusual (and unrelated) circumstances came up which caused me to move. I think the summer is the best time I think since the weather is so pleasant and the crowds are greatly reduced (since most of the student population is gone). Make sure and attend the 4th of July Festival.

“flemmyd” brings up the good point that if you are considering either of those two schools for grad school then this would be an excellent time to do a thorough check-out to see how you will like it, as well as make connections while you are there.

To quote someone who's pretty important in college football:

"COME TO PENN STATE!"

1. What is REU and what does it stand for?

REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates. It is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides summer research opportunities for undergraduate students in various STEM fields.

2. How do I apply for an REU program?

The application process for REU programs varies depending on the specific program and university. Typically, applications are submitted online through the program's website and require a resume, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to check the specific requirements and deadlines for each program.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program allows students to gain hands-on research experience, work with experienced faculty mentors, and potentially publish their findings. It also provides opportunities to network with other students and professionals in the field, and can enhance graduate school applications and job prospects.

4. Can I participate in more than one REU program?

Yes, students are able to participate in multiple REU programs during their undergraduate career. However, it is important to carefully consider the time commitment and potential overlap with other programs or commitments.

5. What should I consider when choosing an REU program?

Some factors to consider when choosing an REU program include the specific research areas and projects offered, the location and duration of the program, the level of support and resources provided, and any potential financial assistance or stipends. It is also important to research the program's reputation and success in placing students in graduate programs or jobs.