Harnessing Reusable Energy from Rotating System

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a big rotating cylinder, connected with a dynamo, to generate power. However, it is stated that the amount of energy produced would be less than the energy consumed due to the principle of Conservation of Energy. The concept of a flywheel effect is also mentioned, but it is clarified that it only stores energy and does not continuously generate it. The conversation ends with the suggestion of using the energy from the "flywheel" when the machine is switched off.
Analysis
Dear all,

I have querey regarding reuseful energy from system.
Our system is big cylinder (1000mmφ x 1000mm width) having mass of 500kg is rotating 500rpm to do function.It consumes power 4kw continiously
My curiosity is since cylinder is constantly rotating can we attach some dynamo accessories to generate power?
Wheather attachment and generating power is possible?
Can it we significant magnitude ?

any case studies in this field ?sites?

Thanks,
Prakash

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to attach a dynamo to get 1kW out, then you'd need to uprate your motor to put an extra 1kW in (plus some more for losses).

You won't get more energy out of this device than you put in.

Analysis said:
Our system is big cylinder (1000mmφ x 1000mm width) having mass of 500kg is rotating 500rpm to do function.It consumes power 4kw continiously
My curiosity is since cylinder is constantly rotating can we attach some dynamo accessories to generate power?
Wheather attachment and generating power is possible?

that 4kW is consumed against the losses, ie friction losses, viscous drag etc, it is not driving it, if you attach a power producing device, it ll increase the load on your system, then you need to increase the input to keep the shaft rotating at 500rpm.

This principle is called Conservation of Energy.

brewnog said:
If you want to attach a dynamo to get 1kW out, then you'd need to uprate your motor to put an extra 1kW in (plus some more for losses).

You won't get more energy out of this device than you put in.

Thanks for your comments.But still i am not clear.
Of course you might be correct but i am not getting fully.
I will brief about my system.A big cylinder fitted with shaft (in central) and this rotates 500 rpm.Cotton is fed over one half quadrant in the outer periphery,my doubt is how power consumes? to rotate that much cylinder(wt 500kg) to overcome inertial resistance or to get over the cotton resistance (cotton is pass thro big cylinder and another rotary system) or to both.

Also if we attach in coils over outer periphery of the central shaft one end, while rotating this shaft flux will not create? and can't the power will produce?cant it generate even 0.5kw?why the input load is increased?

Thanks
Prakash
If we consider motor rotor assumption is not correct?

What does it matter how the power is dissipated by the machine? Heck, leave the machine out of this, then all you are left with is a motor driving a generator.

It takes power to drive a generator because a generator is converting mechanical power to electrical power. Magnets push electrons around, and that requires physical force.

If this were not so, we'd already have perpetual motion machines generating all of our power. Again, conservation of energy prevents this.

russ_watters said:
What does it matter how the power is dissipated by the machine? Heck, leave the machine out of this, then all you are left with is a motor driving a generator.

It takes power to drive a generator because a generator is converting mechanical power to electrical power. Magnets push electrons around, and that requires physical force.

If this were not so, we'd already have perpetual motion machines generating all of our power. Again, conservation of energy prevents this.

Hai

Yes i am agree that if we get around coil over shaft it will restrict and this will proportionately increase the input.

But while rotating mass of 500kg any flywheel effect can we get?
Also this flywheel effect cannot useful energy out?

Prakash

No, the flywheel effect stores energy, it doesn't continuously generate it. You only get energy out of a flywheel when you slow it down.

russ_watters said:
No, the flywheel effect stores energy, it doesn't continuously generate it. You only get energy out of a flywheel when you slow it down.

Thank you for your guidance.

russ_watters said:

Therefore, you could possibly get some energy out of the system when you switch the machine off and slow down the "flywheel" if it could be connected to a dynamo. You would probably need a clutch so that you could engage the dynamo as soon as you switch off the machine. I doubt that the amount of power received would be very much in comparison to what you put in over a day of the machine being on, but you may be able to use it to power some lights or store it in a battery to be used in the starting of the machine the next day.

Hope that helps.

redargon said:
Therefore, you could possibly get some energy out of the system when you switch the machine off and slow down the "flywheel" if it could be connected to a dynamo. You would probably need a clutch so that you could engage the dynamo as soon as you switch off the machine. I doubt that the amount of power received would be very much in comparison to what you put in over a day of the machine being on, but you may be able to use it to power some lights or store it in a battery to be used in the starting of the machine the next day.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your comments.Hands of to your idea.

1. How does harnessing reusable energy from rotating systems work?

Harnessing reusable energy from rotating systems involves using mechanical devices such as turbines or generators to convert the kinetic energy of rotating objects into usable electricity. This can be done through various methods such as wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, or even capturing the energy from rotating machinery used in industrial processes.

2. What are the benefits of using rotating systems for renewable energy?

One of the main benefits of using rotating systems for renewable energy is that they are a clean source of energy. They do not produce emissions or contribute to air pollution. Additionally, rotating systems can produce a significant amount of energy and can be used in a variety of locations, making them a versatile option for renewable energy production.

3. Are there any limitations to harnessing reusable energy from rotating systems?

One limitation of using rotating systems for renewable energy is that they are dependent on external factors such as wind or water flow. This means that their energy production may not be consistent and can be affected by changes in weather patterns. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up rotating systems can be high, although they have a lower maintenance cost compared to other renewable energy sources.

4. What are some examples of rotating systems used for renewable energy?

Some common examples of rotating systems used for renewable energy include wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and tidal energy converters. Other examples include rotating machinery used in industrial processes, such as steam turbines or gas turbines, which can also be used to generate renewable energy.

5. How can I incorporate rotating systems for renewable energy in my own life?

There are a few ways to incorporate rotating systems for renewable energy in your daily life. If you live in a windy or coastal area, you can install a small wind turbine or tidal energy converter to generate electricity for your home. You can also support renewable energy initiatives by purchasing products or services from companies that use rotating systems for their energy production. Additionally, you can reduce your energy consumption by using energy-efficient appliances and reducing your overall energy usage, which can help decrease the demand for non-renewable energy sources.