Reuters: Hawking offers an Encyclopedia of Cricket

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary: Hawking presented John Preskill, a theoretical physicist, with a favorite reference work, "Total Baseball, The Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia." After having it specially flown over from the United States, Preskill was not convinced of cricket's superiority over baseball. However, the book does offer information on the game that is not available elsewhere. According to Hawking, cricket is the sport originally played by Europeans (England started it), then it slowly spread to the colonies of England, and it is played throughout the world. He finds cricket to be quite enjoyable, and mentioned that he plays the sport often. However, because he does not have a copy of the encyclopedia, he conceded the bet to Preskill. Additionally, because cricket is a popular sport in India
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Physics news on Phys.org
I never got to understand cricket.

On other hand, perhaps it is a subtle allusion to the sport of Krikkit, from Douglas Adams' Guide to the Galaxy.

cricket is the sport originally played by Europeans (England started it), then it slowly spread to the colonies of England, and it is played throughout the world.. I find it quite enjoyable, and play it often, you should try it. (its nothing like baseball, like most poeple suggest). THe bat is flat for one thing, hehe..

CNN/AP reported that"

[Hawking] presented Preskill a favored reference work "Total Baseball, The Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia" after having it specially flown over from the United States.

"I had great difficulty in finding one over here, so I offered him an encyclopedia of cricket as an alternative," Hawking said, "but John wouldn't be persuaded of the superiority of cricket."

pnjabiloafer said:
cricket is the sport originally played by Europeans (England started it), then it slowly spread to the colonies of England, and it is played throughout the world.. I find it quite enjoyable, and play it often, you should try it. (its nothing like baseball, like most poeple suggest). THe bat is flat for one thing, hehe..

I believe that cricket is played a lot in India, and that the Indian team can probably have a go at the world championship some years, but I do not have a copy of the encyclopedia Hawking was offering so I cannot check my facts.

Perhaps given the number of cricket players in the New york city area you should organize a local tournament

Queens cricket team play against Brooklyn, and so on.

i do not know what cricket has to do with astronomy but cricket is fun to play and pretty boring to watch especially when it rains and you have to listen to the commentators rambling while watching the rain and people runnig around puting covers on

thats really true, what bozo mentioned, its really great to play.. and marcus, we have our leagues and everything, and as for India having a go in the world cup, they made it to the finals, but lost from australia, which is the god of cricket at the moment.. i believe they will the next one, hopefully. Indian people are crazy for cricket, they kill player who don't do good, lol.

pnjabiloafer said:
.. and marcus, we have our leagues and everything, .. .

excuse me, there is actually a Brooklyn league of cricket?
a cricket team of Flushing, Queens NY?
this to me is more exciting than to hear about the standing of Australia and so on in the world championship
maybe everyone else knows about this but I dont
and I grew up around NYC (but no one played cricket at that time)

yeps, everyone has their own teams, and they all compete with each othere, holding tournaments each year. Not only in new york, but also in New Jersey, Philidephia, and Upstate. Its fun, but i mostly play soccer, and play in those tournaments.

ok, ok...off to General Discussion this goes :)

Well, you don't have to make GD sound like the BOWELS of the earth... :grumpy: :wink:

Cricket, except in the UK (mainly in England, though Glamorgan in Wales and Scotland as a whole both have county cricket teams) isn't played much in Europe , thoughHolland have had a national side.

These countries (except in the case of West Indies which is actually a group of countries including Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, etc, i.e. all of British Empires Carribean posessions) all have international test cricket sides:

Australia
South Africa
England
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Additionally these countries have fielded test sides (apparently):

UAE
Canada
Netherlands
Hong Kong
Namibia
Scotland

So you can see all the major cricketing countries were at some time part of the British Empire and even all the minor cricketing countries, with the exception of Holland (where the game has only recently arrived) were also in one way or other part of the British Empire.

On the Indian subcontinent, the West Indies and perhaps Australia cricket is the number 1 sport.

It's a very slow-paced and relaxed sport with a test match lasting several days.

1. What is "Reuters: Hawking offers an Encyclopedia of Cricket?"

"Reuters: Hawking offers an Encyclopedia of Cricket" is a recently published book written by renowned physicist Stephen Hawking, which delves into the science behind the popular sport of cricket.

2. Who is Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking was a British theoretical physicist and author who is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum mechanics. He is also known for his bestselling book "A Brief History of Time" and his groundbreaking work on black holes.

3. Why did Stephen Hawking write a book about cricket?

Hawking was a lifelong fan of cricket and was fascinated by the physics behind the sport. He wanted to explore the scientific principles at play in cricket and share his knowledge and insights with others through this book.

4. What can readers expect to learn from "Reuters: Hawking offers an Encyclopedia of Cricket?"

The book covers a range of topics related to cricket, including the history of the sport, the rules and regulations, and the physics behind batting, bowling, and fielding. Readers can also expect to learn about the role of technology in cricket and the impact of climate change on the sport.

5. Is "Reuters: Hawking offers an Encyclopedia of Cricket" suitable for non-scientific readers?

Yes, the book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers of all backgrounds and levels of scientific knowledge. Hawking's love for the sport and his passion for science shines through in his writing, making it an engaging and informative read for anyone interested in cricket.