1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revenue Optimization problem

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Optimization problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A baseball team plays in the stadium that holds 60000 spectators. With the ticket price at 8 the average attendence has been 24000. When the price dropped to 7, the average attendence rose to 30,000.
    a) find the demand function p(x), where x is the number of spectators (assume p(x) is linear p(x)=
    b) How should the ticket price be set to maximize revenue?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I figured out that the demand function was: 8-(1/6000)(x-24000)
    b) I tried to use the revenue formula:; by taking the derivative of the demand function which is: 12-(12,000x/6000[tex]^{}2[/tex])
    and then I set that equal to zero and tried to solve for X, which is: 36,000
    So, now I don't know how to use the above information to calculate the price of the ticket. any suggestions?

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    So x = 36,000 is a critical number of the revenue function [itex]r(x) = xp(x) = 12x - x^2 / 6000[/itex]. What does that tell you about r(x) at x = 36,000? What does that tell you about p(x)?

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    I plugged in the x=36,000 into the demand function and I got $6.00 as the answer, I verified it and it is correct.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?