Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reverse engineering computer modeling project

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
    I have a dilemma for which I could use some input. I sponsor a Math/Science Computer Modeling (sort of Science Fair) club at my high school. Usually we select a couple of topics per year and design an experiment, and write a computer model that predicts what the outcome should be. We then compare the results of the two aspects of the project. The purpose is to demonstrate to my students how mathematics, science, and computers are more intimately linked today than ever before and that there is great potential for future careers.

Here's my problem, I have a computer/mathematics modeling project demonstrating reverse modeling/engineering involving sports cars and transmission gear ratios. I would like to design a second project in reverse medeling/engineering dealing with ceiling fans. I would like to take available data commonly found on the boxes of commercial ceilng fans, then use that data to work backwards to determine some physics property like efficiency, vortices area, or air flow turbulence. Then have students actually test fans in their home and collect data, The problem comes in deciding what aspect to reverse engineer? Can any give me any suggestions or recomendations.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted