Reverse engineering refraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reverse engineering refraction and determining the surface orientation for a refracted ray to focus on a specific point. The use of the normal vector, Snell's law, and the angles θ1 and θ2 are also mentioned and clarified.
GabrielCoriiu
I'm trying to reverse engineer refraction. So given I, R and k in the image, what is N so that sin(θ1)/sin(θ2) = k ?
upload_2019-3-10_16-39-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-10_16-39-25.png
    upload_2019-3-10_16-39-25.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gabriel, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !
e
GabrielCoriiu said:
reverse engineer refraction
Fine, but it would be more sensible to define ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## in the conventional manner. The way it looks now makes ##\theta_2## appear completely random to me ...

Hi BvU, thank you for the warm welcome. I've changed the image in the original post, I hope this makes it more clear :)

GabrielCoriiu said:
what is N
##\vec N## is the normal vector. It doesn't occur as a vector in Snellius' law.

However, I think I do not understand your question.

To rephrase the question, what should the surface orientation be, in order for the refracted ray to focus on a specific point, given the light direction and index of refraction.

There is no question of focusing: parallel in is parallel out!
Are you asking about finding a given ##\ \theta_1 - \theta_2 ## ?

Hmmm,

I've just realized that cos (θ1 - θ2) is I⋅R, supposedly they are unit vectors. I can now get θ1 and replace it in Snell's law and solve for θ1, which is exactly what I want :biggrin:

Thanks BvU!

Likes BvU

1. What is reverse engineering refraction?

Reverse engineering refraction is the process of analyzing and understanding the principles and mechanisms behind the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This involves studying the properties of light, such as wavelength and frequency, and how they are affected by changes in the medium.

2. Why is reverse engineering refraction important?

Reverse engineering refraction is important because it allows scientists to understand and manipulate the behavior of light in various mediums. This has numerous practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for cameras and glasses, and in the development of technologies like fiber optics and lasers.

3. What are some methods used in reverse engineering refraction?

Some methods used in reverse engineering refraction include ray tracing, which involves tracing the path of light rays through a medium, and Snell's law, which describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction at a boundary between two mediums.

4. How does reverse engineering refraction relate to other fields of science?

Reverse engineering refraction is closely related to fields such as optics, physics, and materials science. It also has applications in engineering, particularly in the design of optical systems and devices.

5. What are some real-world examples of reverse engineering refraction?

Some real-world examples of reverse engineering refraction include the development of corrective lenses for glasses and contact lenses, the design of telescopes and microscopes, and the creation of fiber optic cables used in telecommunications. It is also used in the study of atmospheric and oceanic phenomena, such as mirages and underwater vision.